Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Gas/rewards cards

I currently use the chase ink card and get a small percentage back.

Now that gas stations sell gas at a higher price for cards would a gas card be worth it?

What type of card are you using? I try to buy everything on a card for the rewards.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you like to work the rewards angle, another great way to get fuel discounts is if your local grocery chain has bonus fuel rewards for gift card purchases. Use your Chase Ink to buy them and you might find it to be what you're looking for.

For example, Giant Eagle and Kroger often have .20 off/gal for every $50 you buy in giftcards from them (Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, etc). I know plenty of contractors who just make a stop at the grocery before heading to HoDe or Lowes for their supplies or job materials. $1000 in Home Depot gift cards creates a quick $4 off/gallon, although there is a 30/gal per visit maximum. I do the same for our Amazon shopping, as the groceries tend to carry those cards as well.

http://www.gianteagle.com/Save/fuelperks/
Old 08-16-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pain in the ass to have to go through all this rigmarole just so I don't have to pay an arm and a leg... Had to buy a car battery the other day in similar fashion just so I wouldn't have to pay near $100 for the cheapest one, then go to the store and it wasn't the exact fit despite the fact that is the battery the web site said was for my car so even if I had wanted to I could not have bought a different one because it won't let me, see how that works.

So no, it will not ALLOW me to buy a part UNLESS I enter the year make and model of my car!
You might think that's all right but not if I have aftermarket parts and cross-referencing on my end, I HAVE to buy the part it WANTS to sell me, like it or not, that is what I'm buying, unless I want high performance?
Oh yeah, high performance, I can have anything of that I want, right, funny people.

So then it's like, I have to study the scenario and spend 30-60 minutes to save $120, in ways it's worth it but then again the price is so hyperinflated to begin with and by the time I go through all the rigmarole it sure feels like I'm not really getting a discount, not sure if this is what it's all coming to.

Maybe it's the new way of creating jobs, you do the work, you get the discount.
Crazy bowlshed, I'll stick to Fleabay.

Last edited by herler; 08-16-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If an 8 minute diversion for $120 in gas is rigmarole, then I'd say it's safe to say the thrill of the rewards chase is not for you, Herler.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I favorite card was the BP visa until they changed it. Then I went to chase freedom then ace visa now I'm on bank of America. Honesty the best deals are the sign on bonuses. I mean who can't spend $500 in 3 months to get $200 in lowes gift cards or just a check? Still bp's 5 percent cash back on bp fuel was awesome. Too bad I wasn't in lawn care then.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't use a credit card for fuel, so I can't help there, but like Tony said, I do use the fuel perks from the grocery store.

A few weeks back, my wife snagged around 30 boxes of cereal because they were offering something like ten cents/gal off with the purchase of 4 boxes. (normal rate you get ten cents off/gal with every $50 spent)
PLUS the cereal was on sale - not dirt cheap, but on sale. PLUS she used coupons, so the cereal averaged out to $2/box.
Hey, I eat a lot of cereal and it's not going to go bad.

Add that to the fuel perks we already had saved up and I filled the tank (and some cans) to get the 30 gal maximum you can purchase with the discount, and the total came to $3.57 (.11/gal LOL)
Old 08-17-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribing.....I'm looking for something different. Been using Citgo Fleet until they tried to screw me over...never again!! Stay away from them and on top of that their customer service could care less!!!!!