Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-17-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like buying equipment that is 15 years old and never touched. I picked up a reel recently and the engine code was from 96. Everything works well so far. You need to go ahead and figure in pricing for replacement parts and add it to the cost. Then figure if the risk is worth the reward.

I do feel the gamble is greater on older equipment. There have been a few times where I would have made out much better cost wise buying a newer machine for more money. You def take your lumps with resale as well. Even if you go throw and replace all the major 'wear and tear' items, has low hours, and looks nice, you still have a hard time just getting your money back that you put in.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks JC!

I'M not sure if you are responding to me or the OP, but the response seems to apply to us both.

I am indeed my own mechanic, although I will have to familiarize myself with the breed. Your Information is very helpful.

I have gotten the impression that grasshopper decks interchange between mid mounts and front mounts. If this is true, I have spotted an old mid mount with a power vac pickup system. If I could swap some things around and end up with a front mount diesel with the pickup system and then sell the resulting mid mount. I might end up with what I am looking for. With the lower power as you explain, this might tax it a little, but even if I had to run slower I could accomplish what I'm looking to do.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I learned that on the new models at least, mid mount and front mount decks do not interchange.

I really want to get a grass pickup system, so the old 721's I found, might not be mich good for me.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
Well, I learned that on the new models at least, mid mount and front mount decks do not interchange.

I really want to get a grass pickup system, so the old 721's I found, might not be mich good for me.
They are not hard to find used. There are 1000's of them. You can still buy them new, your going to fork over $3500 new though.