Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-17-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would go with either the bobcat or the husqvarna PZ line of mowers. I like bobcat and have never owned a husqvarna but the new PZ mowers look incredible and that would probably be my first choice. Honestly I would not hesitate to buy either one. Now the Ferris does sound like it might suit your situation better due to the full suspension.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-17-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Also, was pretty commited to going with a Kawasaki engine but am intrigued by the Kohler EFI, have you gotten any feedback on the EFI?

Thanks again!!!
Only ever sold one of them and it was years ago. They are showing up on alot of machines. The newer ones are a bit simpler and cheaper. Not cheaper in a bad way just advances in parts and what not. Toro has been using them for a couple years now. They recently showed up on Ferris and Bobcat. And now my latest Wright price list has some available on X models I think.

I really cant say as Kawasaki rules the market here. I might see 1 Kohler for every 100 Kawasakis...

For home use its going to take the fuel savings a long time to catch up to the initial extra 500-1000 for the machine.

As for the no flat tires, you could always swap them out. If you want comfort though you definitely want the seat and anti vibe stuff in the regular Procat I think. Honestly I have not had an SE in so not sure what all is removed. Mostly sell Procats or Fastcat Pros.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I am going to demo a 2013 bobcat pro 52 with Kaw 26hp to see if the bobcat feels as good on my hill as the slightly lower sitting big dog.

As far as the bobcat SE, I decided that the less comfortable seat and suspension is not worth the savings.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am going to demo a 2013 bobcat pro 52 with Kaw 26hp to see if the bobcat feels as good on my hill as the slightly lower sitting big dog.

As far as the bobcat SE, I decided that the less comfortable seat and suspension is not worth the savings.
My dealer has sold in the neighborhood of 300 Bobcats this year, and one of his best sellers is the ProCat. I also believe the Big Dog to be a good mower from what I've seen, don't know where you got the vibration from, but this is not normal. I'm just curious, is there a reason for the 52 over a 60?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks.

Thanks for the info.

Pretty sure i need the 52 because we have about 2-3 acres planted with trees and gardens planted close together. A larger machine would not fit in some of these spaces. Too bad, because I would have liked to get the larger mower.

Upon reflection, the vibration may have been because my fields are too bumpy to run at top speed. From the reading I have done since, I am pretty sure this is the case.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Demo'd the Bobcat and...

Demo'd the bobcat pro cat 52 with the Kawasaki FX730 for about 1 hour today Last week I demo'd a Big Dog x-1052 with the FX691 for about 10 hours. Both have 12cc pumps.

Bottom line, and it is kind of like the difference between a mini-cooper and a mustang.

The Procat rides smoother over my bumpy field at high speed and the steering seems to drift less. Overall it seems like a heavier built machine.

The Big dog is quicker to respond steering wise and seems like a lighter built machine.

It might be my imagination, but it seemed like the Big Dog shot threw the clippings further and that the Procat mulched some of the clippings. Both cut nice.

Both did fine on my hill.

By the time you figure in tax, the Bobcat is about $800 more.

Still debating this.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Demo'd the bobcat pro cat 52 with the Kawasaki FX730 for about 1 hour today Last week I demo'd a Big Dog x-1052 with the FX691 for about 10 hours. Both have 12cc pumps.

Bottom line, and it is kind of like the difference between a mini-cooper and a mustang.

The Procat rides smoother over my bumpy field at high speed and the steering seems to drift less. Overall it seems like a heavier built machine.

The Big dog is quicker to respond steering wise and seems like a lighter built machine.

It might be my imagination, but it seemed like the Big Dog shot threw the clippings further and that the Procat mulched some of the clippings. Both cut nice.

Still debating this.
What kind of price are you getting for a 61in Bob Cat Procat SE?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Still debating this.
Please don't let $800 stop you from having what you believe is best for your situation, you only make this life trip once, don't let $800 cause you to ponder how it could have been.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Pretty sure i need the 52 because we have about 2-3 acres planted with trees and gardens planted close together. A larger machine would not fit in some of these spaces. Too bad, because I would have liked to get the larger mower.

Upon reflection, the vibration may have been because my fields are too bumpy to run at top speed. From the reading I have done since, I am pretty sure this is the case.
I maintain properties from postage stamp to 5+ acres. A 52" is a great all around deck size.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Please don't let $800 stop you from having what you believe is best for your situation, you only make this life trip once, don't let $800 cause you to ponder how it could have been.
Thanks for reminding me of that.

My wife said it too, albeit less kindly "Don't be an idiot."

But in fairness to me, I started looking at the quasi commercial, about $6400 before tax, then looked at a lower end full blown commercial, about 7800 before tax, and now I am looking at a nice commercial, about 8500 or 8600 before tax.

My buddy, who has mown professionally for over 10 years, says it will take me 9 hrs of ztr time to completely mow our place once I get used to the machine. Since some of the areas are only mowed every two weeks, I figure about 120 to 150 hrs per year. At 55 yrs old, a good machine could last me the rest of my life.

As you said, I doubt I will make this purchase again. And do not want to be thinking about what I could have purchased.

Thanks for the reminder.

And by the way, nice picture of the dogs.