Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town Line Lawn Care LLC View Post
Can using the Square be done even if you are not with the customer? Like if they called you wanting to make a payment?
If you have the number you can. This is why I like Paypal better. I can send them a Paypal invoice and they can do all the entering. Great if they are not there. Not having to arrange face time is a pro point for both parties. Means my employees don't have to worry about handling transactions. Paypal save all the customers info and I send as many invoices as I need to.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Square takes a percentage of each transaction done. If you are ok with this, if not, we've had success with Bluepay
Old 08-19-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can you tell me more about your blue pay? What kind of fee structure do they have? I use SA and need to either go with Blue pay or authorize.net. Looks like authorize has better mobile feature.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town Line Lawn Care LLC View Post
Can using the Square be done even if you are not with the customer? Like if they called you wanting to make a payment?
Yes you can key in the CC number but the rate goes from 2.75 % to 3.5 %

Charles Cue
Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I use quikbooks online and my clients get billed monthly. They have an option on their invoice to go to a secure link to pay using a debit or credit card. It streamlines the process, increases cash flow, and my clients love it. It also has the option for my iPad or iPhone to except payment. Quikbooks online is the way to go.
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab 5.3 V8
7x16 Enclosed Trailer
5X12 Open Trailer with front end cage
2007 Exmark 46 inch ZTR
Exmark 36 inch Metro
Exmark Push Mower
Stihl Weed Trimmer (3)
Stihl Stick Edger
Stihl Backpack Blower (3)
Backpack sprayers (5)
Stihl Hedge Trimmers (3)
Stihl pole chainsaw
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got an email from groupon.com. is cheaper than square up
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi guys, I saw a few valid concerns about the CC, so ill help clear a few things up.

what company to use - I go though my bank, because they matched a competitors percentage, and they fund me next day. meaning if I charge by 6:00 pm, money is in my account next day.

Also, I would use one that works with in your invoicing system. I use SAP, so i process in SAP. That eliminates double entry. When the card is charged, the invoice is also marked paid. if you use SQ, then it may not. This saves a ton of time, and also allows us to do auto payments, and online payments. None of which require my time to charge, or balance their accounts.

3% charge - yes we do pay that but ill clue you in on a few things you didn't think of, when you said it was expensive.

1. how many of you bill out once per month, then wait for your money 15 more days. thus you waited 45 days to get paid. It costs money to float money. I can take advantage of savings my dealers and suppliers offer. I have a better cash flow and can buy lots of fuel when its cheaper. Bulk discounts, helps save money. If nothing less you can put into a savings account that earns you 1% back

2. how many of you have an A/R report that shows greater than 3% of your bill out that is past 60 days due, and may have a few dead beats representing 3% or greater? I know I did. you see there is no difference between paying a CC company 3% or letting 3% slip out the door on a dead beat that doesn't pay up. Accepting CC not only gave these dead beats an option to pay, but because we charge out every week, our A/R report stays clean..if a charge fails, we give them 2 weeks to update their card on file or allow us to re-charge the amount. So yes you pay 3% but you don't end up with dead beats, which for me was over 7% in the past.

3. If you have office staff, and even if you don't. you go to the P.O. box daily or every few days. you make the deposit, and you have to take the time to enter in all the payments. 100 checks in the box might mean 3 hours of data entry. your either doing it yourself, or paying someone to do it for you. Mean time, I'm traveling, on vacation, log into SAP and click 3-5 buttons, 30 seconds of time, and i charged 100 credit cards, and it will be available to me the next day just as a check.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

We go through our Bank (BOA) I have a card reader for my smart phone that I have never used, all of my customers call in and my wife keys it in on the computer.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee24 View Post
Hi guys, I saw a few valid concerns about the CC, so ill help clear a few things up.

what company to use - I go though my bank, because they matched a competitors percentage, and they fund me next day. meaning if I charge by 6:00 pm, money is in my account next day.

Also, I would use one that works with in your invoicing system. I use SAP, so i process in SAP. That eliminates double entry. When the card is charged, the invoice is also marked paid. if you use SQ, then it may not. This saves a ton of time, and also allows us to do auto payments, and online payments. None of which require my time to charge, or balance their accounts.

3% charge - yes we do pay that but ill clue you in on a few things you didn't think of, when you said it was expensive.

1. how many of you bill out once per month, then wait for your money 15 more days. thus you waited 45 days to get paid. It costs money to float money. I can take advantage of savings my dealers and suppliers offer. I have a better cash flow and can buy lots of fuel when its cheaper. Bulk discounts, helps save money. If nothing less you can put into a savings account that earns you 1% back

2. how many of you have an A/R report that shows greater than 3% of your bill out that is past 60 days due, and may have a few dead beats representing 3% or greater? I know I did. you see there is no difference between paying a CC company 3% or letting 3% slip out the door on a dead beat that doesn't pay up. Accepting CC not only gave these dead beats an option to pay, but because we charge out every week, our A/R report stays clean..if a charge fails, we give them 2 weeks to update their card on file or allow us to re-charge the amount. So yes you pay 3% but you don't end up with dead beats, which for me was over 7% in the past.

3. If you have office staff, and even if you don't. you go to the P.O. box daily or every few days. you make the deposit, and you have to take the time to enter in all the payments. 100 checks in the box might mean 3 hours of data entry. your either doing it yourself, or paying someone to do it for you. Mean time, I'm traveling, on vacation, log into SAP and click 3-5 buttons, 30 seconds of time, and i charged 100 credit cards, and it will be available to me the next day just as a check.
The export feature is kinda nice. what bank does it?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
The export feature is kinda nice. what bank does it?
I assume the "export feature" your referencing, is the ability to mark the invoices "paid" as your processing the card payment?

If that is your question, it has nothing to do with the bank. We process the payments in service autopilot. this is also where we do our invoicing. SAP talks to the process company though some back door programing and it all works great. You can key in the card number, or SAP will securely store their cards on file. you can auto charge them if you want or run them manually. customer can pay their own bill online if they wish. doesn't matter how it gets done, their account balance is updated and the invoices get marked paid appropriately.

You can use any bank you want as long as they use and talk to Blue pay or authorized.net