Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

what is an average schedule for commercial properties in the off season

Hello everybody, I currently do 100% residential properties. One of my residential customers asked me for a bid on their commercial property. My question is how often should I plan to service this property in the off season (Dec -Feb) should it be every two weeks? It is a mall type property so the parking lot will be the main issue during these months. I will ultimately talk with the customer to find out what schedule they have in mind. I was just curious to what the normal scheduling would be so I have a base line idea. Thanks for any advice/input
Old 08-17-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's a pretty ambiguous question. You're asking this question in an open forum with contractors from 50 different states, totally different climates, varying varieties of turfgrass (some go dormant in winter, some don't, some get over-seeded with a different variety for the winter), and a lot of differences in seasonal pruning etc.

I'd expect you could get at least 50 different answers to this question. It would be better to find out what's typical for your specific area. And sometimes the only way to find that out, on a commercial account, is to ask them to see what the previous companies have laid out in terms of service. Often times, they are willing to share that with you, if you just ask. You're not asking for price. You're just asking for a schedule of what maintenance was done in the winter with services they've used in the past, in order to make sure that you make sure to include everything they've been getting before......(and if you're smart, you'll add in a few things that they weren't getting before, so they'll feel your service offers more value-added benefits.)

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
That's a pretty ambiguous question. You're asking this question in an open forum with contractors from 50 different states, totally different climates, varying varieties of turfgrass (some go dormant in winter, some don't, some get over-seeded with a different variety for the winter), and a lot of differences in seasonal pruning etc.

I'd expect you could get at least 50 different answers to this question. It would be better to find out what's typical for your specific area. And sometimes the only way to find that out, on a commercial account, is to ask them to see what the previous companies have laid out in terms of service. Often times, they are willing to share that with you, if you just ask. You're not asking for price. You're just asking for a schedule of what maintenance was done in the winter with services they've used in the past, in order to make sure that you make sure to include everything they've been getting before......(and if you're smart, you'll add in a few things that they weren't getting before, so they'll feel your service offers more value-added benefits.)
Thank you for the reply. I apologize, after I re-read my post I realized there wasn't enough details. I am in the central piedmont area of North Carolina. Charlotte to be exact. There is roughly 105,000 square feet of predominately fescue turf. We generally have somewhat short winters. I have an appointment to speak with the owners this week I will ask if they know the previous schedule for services. I'm thinking weekly service from Mar. through Oct. And every two weeks Nov. through Feb. As for the previous lco. My client is just moving into the business space so they have no experience with the last lco. Other than they said he was trying to charge them more than the last owners paid. Great tip on adding extra services. I was thinking offering salt service during the winter for the sidewalks and parking lot. I have already figured in for fert and weed control, shrub trimming 2x, mulch 1x, and color change 2x, along with regular bed maintenance. I believe the last lco was only offering mow, trim, edge, blow, and color change. Anything else I could add? Again thank you for the reply!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

we service ours 52 weeks a year. in the fall winter you're going to be doing leaves, winter weeds, sticks blowing and occasionally mowing. don't go in thinking youre a "lawn guy" be the "property guy"
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV View Post
we service ours 52 weeks a year. in the fall winter you're going to be doing leaves, winter weeds, sticks blowing and occasionally mowing. don't go in thinking youre a "lawn guy" be the "property guy"
Thank you for the reply. WOW! 52 weeks! That's what I was looking for I think. Like you said there is always something to do.
I am definitely going for the property guy image.
Thanks.

04 F-150 FX4
5x10 open utility trailer
X-mark lazer z 52"
Lesco commercial 48" belt
Bob-cat Ransomes 36" belt
Cub cadet sr621 21" s/p
Toro super pro recycler2 21" s/p
Blue bird h424 aerator
Billy goat walk behind leaf vac
2000 psi pressure washer
2 Ryobi power heads