Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-17-2013, 10:52 PM
kingbenny kingbenny is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: east meadow, ny
Posts: 3
32_ where are you on LI
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-18-2013, 01:20 PM
grass-scapes's Avatar
grass-scapes grass-scapes is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Greensboro NC
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
The return on your time and their siZe on these lawns
Is substantially better than the big ones. Ten of these is an acre of grass.
Until you factor in the time between properties that you can't bill for. Fuel, mix oil, repair, maintenance.

Prices are low here, but if they were at that level, I'd be exploring other opportunities.

And how do you figure 10 of those size is an acre. My idea of a postage stamp lawn is 2, maybe 3 thousand square feet.

An acre is 43.5 thousand.....Youd need 15 to 20 to make an acre.....
__________________
By the time you can make ends meet....They move the ends.
_________________________
Grass Scapes
Greensboro NC
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Will P.C. Will P.C. is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Cheap prices =VOLUME = working yourself to death! Volume is fine as long as your not the one doing the work. not a good plan for a solo guy, if you've got the capital to build volume and have payroll, that works! Why do you think the retail segment can't afford to hire employees! They have cheap prices with high volume but it's not enough to have a decent work force! Not the business model I want to be in!
Good post mate. Volume as a solo guy sounds like a good way to burnout quickly. When you look at the companies focusing on volume, they have employees doing the work with complex systems in place.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-19-2013, 10:25 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
Building lots of volume for 20-25 a piece. ten minutes later by yourself. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Cheap prices =VOLUME = working yourself to death! Volume is fine as long as your not the one doing the work. not a good plan for a solo guy, if you've got the capital to build volume and have payroll, that works! Why do you think the retail segment can't afford to hire employees! They have cheap prices with high volume but it's not enough to have a decent work force! Not the business model I want to be in!
Hypothetically say there were enough of these lawns in a tight area to support the "volume" of an 8 hour work day.

6 lawns per hour for eight hours, take away 1.5 hours for travel load/unload

$780 per day for a one man crew, some guys don't hit those goals with a two man crew. I know this is strictly hypothetical and it would be tough to land 40 "postage stamp" lawns in a tight enough area but if it could be done the numbers really don't look that bad..........
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 AM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Hypothetically say there were enough of these lawns in a tight area to support the "volume" of an 8 hour work day.

6 lawns per hour for eight hours, take away 1.5 hours for travel load/unload

$780 per day for a one man crew, some guys don't hit those goals with a two man crew. I know this is strictly hypothetical and it would be tough to land 40 "postage stamp" lawns in a tight enough area but if it could be done the numbers really don't look that bad..........
Realistically, your probably looking at 4/hr that's 15 mins a lawn, you'll need time for other stuff and other stuff WILL come up, don't think you'll be cutting every min of every hour either so I wouldn't over budget my time. There will be days when 4/hr will be hard to get, we always shoot for 10/day but realistically we usually hit 7-8, lately we're lucky to get 5-6 because of the rain, actually we're lucky to even get a day in, LOL!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-16-2015, 11:12 PM
Cedar Lawn Care's Avatar
Cedar Lawn Care Cedar Lawn Care is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 717
There will be a group of potential customers that all they care about is price. Most people want a great service though. It's possible to not be the cheapest guy in town and get business. You do that buy helping people understand what value you provide over the other options they have in your market. Do you take credit cards? Do you have customized plans? Do you not require contracts? Do you hire legal labor? Do you have insurance? Do you have a 15 step checklist at every visit? Do you have a no risk guarantee? Think about these things and make sure you get the point across that you're better than the competition. People are often willing to pay a bit more, but they need to know why.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-17-2015, 07:38 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 4,983
I dunno, you say you been doing this 20 years….you can't be doing too much wrong…. so you get underbid… oh well. Happens to us all daily. Keep doing what you been doing.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-17-2015, 07:16 PM
PLW PLW is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 535
Tell them you would like to see the estimate that the person gave them. If they can't find it then stick to your $40 price. However, of they can provide it to you then look at the overall area and see if you can get more accounts in that area. I know that you most likely don't want to cut a lawn for $35, but if you gain that account and then market to the other properties after you're done cutting then you could make it worth while.

Some might not agree, but if you aren't able to land jobs at your current $40 price, then you might need to rrthink your pricing structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOperator View Post
I am bidding $40 on normal size yards, I have got a few calls now, and someone keeps bidding $35. They say "well so and so said they could do it for $35" so they will have them do it. Should I drop down to $35 so I can compete and get some yards? idk what to do
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-17-2015, 07:40 PM
chefj's Avatar
chefj chefj is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Braselton GA
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
There will be a group of potential customers that all they care about is price. Most people want a great service though. It's possible to not be the cheapest guy in town and get business. You do that buy helping people understand what value you provide over the other options they have in your market. Do you take credit cards? Do you have customized plans? Do you not require contracts? Do you hire legal labor? Do you have insurance? Do you have a 15 step checklist at every visit? Do you have a no risk guarantee? Think about these things and make sure you get the point across that you're better than the competition. People are often willing to pay a bit more, but they need to know why.
What search were you doing that brought back an almost 2 year old thread?
__________________
Justen Ashcraft

Justen@simplylawnsandlandscapes.com
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-17-2015, 08:37 PM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Clean View Post
It seems that the market is a strange one. I have heard of bids ranging from $30 - $10 for the residentials I do. I flat them out at 7.50 if they sign on weekly. $10 if they don't. Either way its 7.50 for 4-15 minutes of my time. Either way my point is some customers feel some prices are too high while others not so much, if you're comfortable at $40 then stick with it.
I hope that's $7.50 per sq ft if not your in big trouble my friend.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Page generated in 0.08520 seconds with 9 queries