Old 08-17-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

32_ where are you on LI
Old 08-18-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
The return on your time and their siZe on these lawns
Is substantially better than the big ones. Ten of these is an acre of grass.
Until you factor in the time between properties that you can't bill for. Fuel, mix oil, repair, maintenance.

Prices are low here, but if they were at that level, I'd be exploring other opportunities.

And how do you figure 10 of those size is an acre. My idea of a postage stamp lawn is 2, maybe 3 thousand square feet.

An acre is 43.5 thousand.....Youd need 15 to 20 to make an acre.....
Greensboro NC
Old 08-18-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Cheap prices =VOLUME = working yourself to death! Volume is fine as long as your not the one doing the work. not a good plan for a solo guy, if you've got the capital to build volume and have payroll, that works! Why do you think the retail segment can't afford to hire employees! They have cheap prices with high volume but it's not enough to have a decent work force! Not the business model I want to be in!
Good post mate. Volume as a solo guy sounds like a good way to burnout quickly. When you look at the companies focusing on volume, they have employees doing the work with complex systems in place.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
Building lots of volume for 20-25 a piece. ten minutes later by yourself. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Cheap prices =VOLUME = working yourself to death! Volume is fine as long as your not the one doing the work. not a good plan for a solo guy, if you've got the capital to build volume and have payroll, that works! Why do you think the retail segment can't afford to hire employees! They have cheap prices with high volume but it's not enough to have a decent work force! Not the business model I want to be in!
Hypothetically say there were enough of these lawns in a tight area to support the "volume" of an 8 hour work day.

6 lawns per hour for eight hours, take away 1.5 hours for travel load/unload

$780 per day for a one man crew, some guys don't hit those goals with a two man crew. I know this is strictly hypothetical and it would be tough to land 40 "postage stamp" lawns in a tight enough area but if it could be done the numbers really don't look that bad..........
Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Hypothetically say there were enough of these lawns in a tight area to support the "volume" of an 8 hour work day.

6 lawns per hour for eight hours, take away 1.5 hours for travel load/unload

$780 per day for a one man crew, some guys don't hit those goals with a two man crew. I know this is strictly hypothetical and it would be tough to land 40 "postage stamp" lawns in a tight enough area but if it could be done the numbers really don't look that bad..........
Realistically, your probably looking at 4/hr that's 15 mins a lawn, you'll need time for other stuff and other stuff WILL come up, don't think you'll be cutting every min of every hour either so I wouldn't over budget my time. There will be days when 4/hr will be hard to get, we always shoot for 10/day but realistically we usually hit 7-8, lately we're lucky to get 5-6 because of the rain, actually we're lucky to even get a day in, LOL!