Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 PM
stuvecorp's Avatar
stuvecorp stuvecorp is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: lake wissota, wi
Posts: 5,142
I wouldn't overlook the IH with the DT466, it's cheap to fix compared to others and there is parts out the wazoo for them. I also would encourage finding a truck that is set up as it can be very frustrating going through an upfitting.
__________________
Do or do not. There is no try. yoda
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 PM
tnmtn's Avatar
tnmtn tnmtn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NE Tn.
Posts: 991
just thinking I have regular spreader type gate on y truck. I attached a cable on both ends of it and can pull it off pretty quickly with the backhoe. when hauling stumps this is what i do. I'll lace a chain across the back in case something should move around. Haven't lost a stump yet.
__________________
'78 Chevy C65 Dump
'94 F-350 7.3 IDI
Bobcat B300
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 AM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,145
The achilles heal with a 10 foot box will always be hauling logs. With a flatbed you can haul them much longer. Cuts down on labor.

I have been looking for a truck hard for about 6 months. It will take between 35k and 40k too get a good Late model low mile truck with the bed already on it. Or you can by a cab chassis for 15k and build the truck the way you want it. Most of the trucks I found for sale where cabchassis that dealers put beds on themselves. The DT466 is a good engine but the International trucks cannot hold a candle too F650/750 for Cab comfort. Friehtliner M2 trucks came with a Cat or Cummins. One major issue I am having is finding higher hp trucks. Most are 190 - 210 hp.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-20-2013, 12:18 PM
stuvecorp's Avatar
stuvecorp stuvecorp is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: lake wissota, wi
Posts: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
The achilles heal with a 10 foot box will always be hauling logs. With a flatbed you can haul them much longer. Cuts down on labor.

I have been looking for a truck hard for about 6 months. It will take between 35k and 40k too get a good Late model low mile truck with the bed already on it. Or you can by a cab chassis for 15k and build the truck the way you want it. Most of the trucks I found for sale where cabchassis that dealers put beds on themselves. The DT466 is a good engine but the International trucks cannot hold a candle too F650/750 for Cab comfort. Friehtliner M2 trucks came with a Cat or Cummins. One major issue I am having is finding higher hp trucks. Most are 190 - 210 hp.
It is interesting how we all have such different preferences and needs for trucks. The big thing with the shorter box (9' or 10') is how maneuverable they are, it is unreal where you can put a short truck. To me the 12-13' contractor dump truck is a compromise from the short 10' and long 16' dumps. I personally don't like flatbed dumps but I'm always concerned with hauling dirt/gravel. Once you have an air trip tailgate it is heaven not having to get out every time. When hauling stumps I've either taken off the tailgate or dropped it down and have not had problems.

I have noticed the medium duty trucks are very light in power. I have to say I like that 3116 with the 250 horse/high torque rating, it is a monster but does sound like there is gravel in it.

It is a shame the 650/750's weren't pushed more, I think they could have been a great truck.

I like upfitting trucks but you have to watch the upfitter, they don't always care or understand how you will use your truck. A lot of the dealer upfitted trucks are not put together that good.
__________________
Do or do not. There is no try. yoda
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-20-2013, 12:34 PM
YellowDogSVC's Avatar
YellowDogSVC YellowDogSVC is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 3,473
I'm lucky in that I can chip up to 20" logs. I use a dump trailer for bigger logs when we are working with big, dead oaks which are a real problem to dispose of. My dump trailer will only haul a 12' log and my haul trailer can handle 20' logs which I can unload at the yard with an extra machine.
Due to the weight of oak logs and occasional stumps, we cut them in 6-8' length to be able to handle them and not destroy what we are dumping into. If any of you deal with oak wilt, you know the biggest trees seem to go first. I try not to mess with too many stumps that I can't either grind in-ground or mulch on site unless they are cedar stumps which I don't mind hauling off. Not only are the oak stumps extremely heavy and hard to dig out without a big machine, they are hard to dispose of out of the ground. For the common 4' diameter sized stumps I regularly encounter, I almost always try to sell my stump grinding versus digging them out.
My trucker with a tandem has had problems getting stumps and logs hung up in his tailgate and he won't haul them anymore. I'll probably keep my dump trailer for jobs like that or stack smarter in a dump truck with traditional tailgate.

In a perfect world I would have 1 of everything I need. I am kind of in that position with attachments, Bobcat, excavator, toolcat, dump trailer, and chipper yet I still have only one *ss to put in any machine or truck. I'm still trying to find RELIABLE help. The Good Lord blessed me with a ranch full of women and my grandkids are... girls.. so it looks like I won't be getting help any time soon.
__________________

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-20-2013, 05:24 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 2,797
Going from a 10' box to a 17 was awesome! New truck is a 12 and I think 14 would be my perfect size. My red dump will run circles around my f250 crew cab, but like everyone keeps saying, everyone's needs are different. Take your best guess and hopefully it's right.
__________________
RJ All Day
Masonry and Landscapes
www.rjfalcone.com
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-21-2013, 06:40 AM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
It is interesting how we all have such different preferences and needs for trucks. The big thing with the shorter box (9' or 10') is how maneuverable they are, it is unreal where you can put a short truck. To me the 12-13' contractor dump truck is a compromise from the short 10' and long 16' dumps. I personally don't like flatbed dumps but I'm always concerned with hauling dirt/gravel. Once you have an air trip tailgate it is heaven not having to get out every time. When hauling stumps I've either taken off the tailgate or dropped it down and have not had problems.

I have noticed the medium duty trucks are very light in power. I have to say I like that 3116 with the 250 horse/high torque rating, it is a monster but does sound like there is gravel in it.

It is a shame the 650/750's weren't pushed more, I think they could have been a great truck.

I like upfitting trucks but you have to watch the upfitter, they don't always care or understand how you will use your truck. A lot of the dealer upfitted trucks are not put together that good.
Down here the Fords are really popular. They also hold there resale very well compared too other brands. Remember all trucks when new where shipped as cab and chassis and where upfitted by dealers so really have no choice in that matter.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM
YellowDogSVC's Avatar
YellowDogSVC YellowDogSVC is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 3,473
So my idea of starting with a smaller truck and see if I need to work up to a bigger truck is feasible? I just don't get too excited about driving trucks but often have the need to move some materials and it's a PITA with my dump trailer. It would be nice to get my class a or b and get a truck with an 18ft bed and barn doors but until hauling brush is more profitable than recycling onsite, I don't think I can justify that especially since I would need a way to load that truck. With a dump truck, I think I can put it to use right away.

I just bought a trencher for my Bobcat (Bobcat 405 5') so I may have to wait awhile to find a truck. I wasn't wanting a trencher but our neighbor's have oak wilt on their property and it's coming our way. I have about a mile of trenching to do to start. Not looking forward to that but I imagine I'll have a new line of business by the time I'm done with that.
__________________

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Junior M's Avatar
Junior M Junior M is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
So my idea of starting with a smaller truck and see if I need to work up to a bigger truck is feasible? I just don't get too excited about driving trucks but often have the need to move some materials and it's a PITA with my dump trailer. It would be nice to get my class a or b and get a truck with an 18ft bed and barn doors but until hauling brush is more profitable than recycling onsite, I don't think I can justify that especially since I would need a way to load that truck. With a dump truck, I think I can put it to use right away.

I just bought a trencher for my Bobcat (Bobcat 405 5') so I may have to wait awhile to find a truck. I wasn't wanting a trencher but our neighbor's have oak wilt on their property and it's coming our way. I have about a mile of trenching to do to start. Not looking forward to that but I imagine I'll have a new line of business by the time I'm done with that.
What will trenching do?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-25-2013, 12:15 PM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,145
Stops the fungus from trabsfering too the adjoining trees from root contact.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:43 PM.

Page generated in 0.07682 seconds with 10 queries