Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Metsulfuron on Zoysia

Does anyone use Metsulfuron on Zoysia. I like to use it on Bermuda but have not tried on Zoysia. I plan to do some trials on different types of Zoysia though. I know if you take the Manor bottle, it says on the outside of the bottle "For Bermuda Grass". But inside the label, it says ok for Emerald and Meyer Zoysia. Going to use MSM Turf in the trials. I was just curious if anyone else was already using it on Zoysia.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

JAD,
My friend competitor says that where we are......that is me.........Empire Zoysia is becoming the new thing, so MSM will fry it. I would do some field tests if I were you.
MSM and prosedge is the combination that is working for most.....Bermuda's
prosedge and Drive for the zoysia's.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I had to go and check the label for Rometsol, generic msm that we use here.

In one part of the label, it doesn't mention Zoysia as a ornamental turf it can be used on, but as you read further down it does, at a rate of 1/4-1oz/ acre.

Zoysia is becoming more and more popular in northeast Florida in a sea of St Augustine lawns. it is probably 6 or 7% of our business right now.
We incorporate these zoysia lawns into our everyday route and treat them at the 1/4 oz/acre rate of msm(blanket spray) with no problems so far.

What I like most is being able to treat the crabgrass with quinclorac once it escapes in the zoysia, unlike the crappy options in st Augustine.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use it in zoysia regular with no ill effects.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use it in zoysia all the time. Keep it at 1/4-1/2 oz per acre, Read the label as far as application goes. This is through low drift fan nozzles. No boomless stuff. MSM works very well on shrubs and flowers in addition to weeds. No spot spraying either. Spot spraying has the potential to apply up to an 8X overdose to each spot. I have seen severe injury occur to grasses when MSM is spot sprayed at the rate of 0.3 grams per gallon. No money or time saved when you are on the hook to fix burned spots or the account drops you.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-20-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys! Like I said, I will be doing some trials. Meyer has been the norm around here for some time but several people are going to Palisades Zoysia because it does so much better in semi-shade.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Fine bladed zoysias are fine.

I'll never apply it on a wide blade again though.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I find that wide blade zoysia lolerates MSM just fine. The only time I had a problem was when applying a Revolver, Image, and MSM mix to an El Toro lawn that was due for a fertilization. Grass turned really yellow, but some solution grade fertilizers with micronutrents turned it back in a week. You could have a problem on zoysia getting only 1-2 lb of N per year, never mind what else the grass is being shorted.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

My observations have been on Zenith. Several occasions, plenty of N.

.35 was enough to suppress for weeks. That was enough to convince me to hang that up as an option...plenty of other choices.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonturf View Post
My observations have been on Zenith. Several occasions, plenty of N.

.35 was enough to suppress for weeks. That was enough to convince me to hang that up as an option...plenty of other choices.
Chelated micronutrents, in addition to N and K is what brought the stunted El Toro back. When I am talking about fertilizer, I mean more than N. This all went down two weeks before the client was going to have a big Christmas party at the house.

It is good to know that Zenith is injured. In a bermuda or St Augustine lawn, zoysia is a contaminant. Any old Jack can go to HD and buy Zenith seed in a cardboard can. Does not mean that was the intended turf.