Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
I don't care if its a half ton, 3/4 ton, or six ton. Negative tongue weight is dangerous. Loads being relative to the truck of course.
That's a jack-knife looking for a place to happen. Well, that and no trailer brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
but usually a person assumes (you know what that gets) that someone with a bigger truck/larger trailer knows a little more.
Then, an RV-er is the holy-grail!

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

Then, an RV-er is the holy-grail!
That and around here, I can't figure it out, but I can't count the number of guys with a Tundra and a goose neck in the back pulling a cattle trailer... For the life of me, seeing a 1/2 ton truck with a goose neck and the tires almost rubbing the fenders.... ugh.... But I have seen at least 4 different ones in this area. Guess they've been believing that Toyota pulling the space shuttle commercial a little too much.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

@ducnut... Have you noticed braking issues with your Silverado and larger wheels? Do you have trailer brakes? I've got an '04 Avalanche w/20" wheels (personal truck) and even without pulling a trailer I can tell a big difference in braking between the factory 16" and the 20"s. The last tandem axle trailer we purchased, I picked it up with the Avalanche and I don't have a brake controller either, and it was pushing me down the road. The trailer is a 6.5'x16'. I have ended up putting slotted rotors on the truck and it makes a difference, I've thought about upgrading the calipers, but the truck is almost 10 years old and 125k.

Just wondering if you experience any issues or notice a difference with the larger wheels and brake fade or anything.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Have you noticed braking issues with your Silverado and larger wheels?.
My truck has the "handling package". It's a torsion bar truck, which rides like crap, even compared to the 4X4 models. They're definitely not the same spring rate. That package, also, came with 20" wheels, oversize brakes (12+" rotors), and PBR calipers. From 20" to 22", I noticed no difference. Either wheelset is heavy. I had the first rotors warped, within 10K miles, and I'm a very easy driver. However, my first 12' trailer had no brakes. And, that's a big deal.

Quote:
Do you have trailer brakes?
This time, yes. I knew from my first trailer, that I wanted them, this time around. I have the Tekonsha Primus controller. It's the most user-friendly of all their controllers, as it doesn't need to be level or have a bunch of setup needs. Having the towing package made hookup easy. I'll never own another trailer without brakes.

Quote:
@
I've got an '04 Avalanche w/20" wheels (personal truck) and even without pulling a trailer I can tell a big difference in braking between the factory 16" and the 20"s. I have ended up putting slotted rotors on the truck and it makes a difference, I've thought about upgrading the calipers, but the truck is almost 10 years old and 125k.
The Silverado/Avalanche/Tahoe/Suburban from this era is notorious for having woefully undersized rotors (~11"). I've seen so many report warped rotors in under 5K miles. Chevrolet should be ashamed of what they did. Heck, they quit putting discs on the rear of these trucks. That's a definite step backward. They're more interested in profit than product performance. This is my first and last Chevrolet.

I was, recently, detailing an '08 Ram. That truck is so overbuilt, compared to my Silverado, it was alarming. The frame, axle, and brakes are considerably heavier. I had the wheels off of it, pressure washing the entire undercarriage, so I had plenty of time to look around. I'm not looking to buy a new truck, but, seeing this one has caused me to consider a Dodge, if/when the time comes.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

This time, yes. I knew from my first trailer, that I wanted them, this time around. I have the Tekonsha Primus controller. It's the most user-friendly of all their controllers, as it doesn't need to be level or have a bunch of setup needs. Having the towing package made hookup easy. I'll never own another trailer without brakes.

I put the P3 controller on our trucks last year, and it is oh so sweet. I love the boost button, you just have to remember to turn the boost off if you don't have a load or else you'll lock up the brakes even with a tap.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
I think he's wrong. The truck will drink more fuel with the trailer loaded that way.
It would? Why? Pulling the same load... Should just beat on the truck (and hitch) more.
The reason I said this, my camper weights 6500lbs when I don't use the load leveler hitch it puts More weight on the truck, and uses more fuel then it does when I use it. My lawn trailer weighs 3800lbs loaded, I don't notice anything difference.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
The reason I said this, my camper weights 6500lbs when I don't use the load leveler hitch it puts More weight on the truck, and uses more fuel then it does when I use it. My lawn trailer weighs 3800lbs loaded, I don't notice anything difference.
The load leveler, or weight distributing hitch, does not remove weight from the truck. Through leverage, it transfers the weight to the front axle. Shouldn't really affect gas mileage. Exception being if the rear was dragging so low as to create a bind in the drive line. IE if the rear sags so low as to create an excessive angle from the drive shaft to the rear end or tranny.

That hitch should improve handling and braking considerably. But gas mileage? Not so much.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The load leveler, or weight distributing hitch, does not remove weight from the truck. Through leverage, it transfers the weight to the front axle. Shouldn't really affect gas mileage.

That hitch should improve handling and braking considerably. But gas mileage? Not so much.
Agreed, on both points.

I've got an Andersen WD hitch. I can infinitely adjust it with only a socket and ratchet. It's surprising how much change there is with so little adjustment. It'll definitely load the frontend, if I crank up the tension. I highly recommend their hitch. Plus, it's made in the USA, unlike other common brands.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer