Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thinking of doing a small side seal coat job - need feedback

I run a mowing & maintenance company, from time to time I get requests to put down a seal.

I've decided to bid on one, I am not asking for a price I know what I need to make to keep my business going and what my cost of operation is per hour, so thats not what I am asking.

I know Lowes, homedepot, etc. have driveway sealers - I am in no way interested in using this products, I am looking on recommendations for higher end products perhaps 3 year warranties tar based? I don't really like the gel sealants.

My overall idea to complete the job:

Pressure wash off the existing driveway, blow it fairly dry (i have br600s and a giant-vac push blower).
Cover all areas I don't want to stain black (steps etc.) with plastic/wrap.

It can be somewhat damp whenever I apply the sealant, but I plan on applying it with squeegees in a right to left, side to side, motion from top to bottom.

Use a 10" or 24" soft bristle brush for edges. Thinking 10" soft to help minimize brush marks.

Am I fairly correct on my procedure?

If so, I guess the only question I really have is what are some other brands of sealant I should be looking at?

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

It doesn't matter. I just like cutting grass ..
Old 08-20-2013, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are a few sealcoaters in your area, you need to talk to them and find out where they are getting their materials from. Sealers hold up better with sand mix in, look for used tank with hand agitation or mechanical drive, use a diaphragm pump system if you can. With the right equipment sealing can be a huge money maker, or the biggest pain in the ars. Research it before you jump in, if you market it right you can pay off that investment in a few months, or not if you know what I mean. Good luck...
Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealcutter View Post
There are a few sealcoaters in your area, you need to talk to them and find out where they are getting their materials from. Sealers hold up better with sand mix in, look for used tank with hand agitation or mechanical drive, use a diaphragm pump system if you can. With the right equipment sealing can be a huge money maker, or the biggest pain in the ars. Research it before you jump in, if you market it right you can pay off that investment in a few months, or not if you know what I mean. Good luck...
Thanks. What part of PA are you in?

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I was kinda shocked by some of the low prices, the lowest has been 14 cents per square the highest has been 40 cents per square. Like today I bidded on a 8,260 sq ft driveway, I was going to charge 2,155 (.25 per square) and I was taking 50 dollars off cause i'm just starting out, I wanna build a nice customer base, so anyway someone else bid 1,200.
s175 skid loader
scag 52in tiger cub
scag 72 turf tiger
echo power equipment
Sealmaster TR-550
Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

i better move by you if your getting .40 cents a sq ft!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlandscaping View Post
I was kinda shocked by some of the low prices, the lowest has been 14 cents per square the highest has been 40 cents per square. Like today I bidded on a 8,260 sq ft driveway, I was going to charge 2,155 (.25 per square) and I was taking 50 dollars off cause i'm just starting out, I wanna build a nice customer base, so anyway someone else bid 1,200.
That is the way it is with any service
Low ballers who just make a mess.

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

Old 08-21-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I am not in the biz, but I assume the guy that quoted $1,200 has the right equipment, ie sprayer etc. I was going to do my own 9k sq ft drive way, but if I bought the sealer in buckets, and did it my self, I would have only saved about 2-300 dollars. They tell me you use a lot more material with the bucket and brush method. If you are a bucket and brush guy, you may want to stick to the smaller drive ways
Old 08-21-2013, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Residential I say he is right on with 1200 and no crack fill. Commercial depending on how big and prep can go from .11 to .14 sqf. I know some who are bidding commercial at .16 a sqf. and not getting any of those jobs. Stick with residential for starters and get used to putting the material down, weather spraying or hand brush, you will make mistakes and you will splash it on walk way and walls. Always work the material so your brush or squeegee wont fling it, move slow until you feel comfortable with it.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
I am not in the biz, but I assume the guy that quoted $1,200 has the right equipment, ie sprayer etc. I was going to do my own 9k sq ft drive way, but if I bought the sealer in buckets, and did it my self, I would have only saved about 2-300 dollars. They tell me you use a lot more material with the bucket and brush method. If you are a bucket and brush guy, you may want to stick to the smaller drive ways
In my experience you will put more down by spraying it, at least it does the way we spray. Some people want it done by hand because that what they know. 90% of what we do is two coats of spraying.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego View Post
Thanks. What part of PA are you in?
Near Parksburg/Lancaster area.