Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-13-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Direct mail: Where to begin?

Hey guys. Im looking at the idea of doing a direct mail campaign for fall aeration. I dont know where i should start...or if direct mail is even the best way to go. I really want to sell alot of aeration this september-october.

Where should i go to get this direct mail thing going? i want to create a nice direct mail piece and send it off to my local neighborhood areas.

I know i would probably need some kind of targeted mailing list. But i am totally new to this kind of marketing so i need help.

Thanks.

Here is a piece i made up...but the sizing isnt exact. its just an idea starter.

Name:  benefitsavebigfront.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  benefitsavebig.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  65.7 KB

Visit Our Website
http://www.sticklelm.com

"Landscapes that stick out."
Old 08-15-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the piece.
What jumps out is aeration special and the graphics on how aeration helps.
The most important thing in an ad or mail piece is a call to action. Yours is aeration special or save 10%. The 10% thing isn't a big seller but with just aeration it's hard to "give" much else. People also like the why should I do this or buy this. The graphic explains it clearly.

In terms of mailing look into EDDM.( Every Door Direct Mail). There are some threads on here about it with a fair amount of good info. We tried it this spring but only got one mailing sent out with 5000 pieces. Had some ok results but had a very abnormal spring here in terms of timing and weather.

Mailing lists are ok if they are very specific, but they cost more and more money the more specific they get. I have a few lists and after a year or 2 of cleaning them up each went from around 600-800 contacts down to maybe 400. The rest were duplicates, wrong addresses, or places not worth sending to.

Eddm's website lets you look through routes and pick ones best for you. This way you can find a route that is the closest to your target market, pay nothing for it, and mail your piece for around 25cents per piece vs 50-60 cents per piece.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I used gotprint.com to design and print my mailers. Then go on USPS.com website and read up about EDDMs.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Direct mail usually starts its trip at the post office
Old 08-24-2013, 05:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Direct mail usually starts its trip at the post office
I wpuld have to agree with you Efficiency on this one. To the OP if you have any doubt or wanting to know just get off your rump anf go to the post office to inquire about EDDM and while your down there speak to a manager about putting in a bid to maintain their property. Kill two birds with one stone????