Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2013, 05:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

how often do you fire customers? at what point do you say alright thats it!!

I just started this year in this fert and weed control. I visit yards every 6 weeks. I have 90 customers. I have 6 that every treatment its the same thing. I call after 4 weeks, just reminding you of payment.... the i call 3 days before the next treatment. still havent received check. just reminding you.... most cal me back but a few I really have to stay on them and threaten small claims before i get a return phone call. I feel like 6 weeks is plentyto get paid and i dont want to treat another round without them paying me. fair? When i get home and the next round is coming up Im on the phone for 2 hours away from family time begging these people. My wife says fire them. she said what happens when you have 1000 yards? Its gonna be a full time evening job trying to get your money so weed out the bad ones as you go. At what point do you tell these people if they dont pay for the year youre done? i already fired one that wouldnt call me back. the other is on auto credit now so those 2 are fixed but do you agree with the wife?? dont put up with it now because itll only get worse? whats your policy?
Old 08-21-2013, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
she said what happens when you have 1000 yards? Its gonna be a full time evening job trying to get your money so weed out the bad ones as you go.
Your wife is a smart woman, I'd listen to her unless you want to spend as much time trying to collect the money as you did doing the actual work
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 AM

You're giving them too much time to pay. Put on there due upon receipt and then give them 7 days to pay. Start calling them after 7 days. Drop them if they go past 2 weeks, I would ask for payment if they are home during service. Really not like you are asking them to write a check every week. 2 most important things in business--doing a good job and getting paid in a timely manner.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Implement a late fee. I make enough money each month on late fees to pay water bill. Once I done this, allot of people started paying on time and the ones that didn't, it's only more money in my pocket. Anytime you have to threaten a customer to get payment. Dear Lord, get rid of them. Life is too short.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
1995 36" Scag Walk Behind
Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks to all that have responded. I guess that's what I'm gonna do. I just hate to fire 6 or 7 people when I only have 90. but like the wife said. would you rather have 84 good customers or 90 and the 6 put you in a bad mood? its true. I hate to lose them but man its stressful calling and calling and calling when I should be spending time with my 3 kids. I guess im fixing to drop some folks
Old 08-21-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bill their credit cards the day after service
Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw View Post
Bill their credit cards the day after service
Every new customer of mine has to put a credit card on file unless the phone conversation goes well enough to dictate otherwise.

I bill every customer when i pull up onsite, if the card declines....i make a phone call. If it goes through and they continue to not have payment issues i move them to a monthly bill cycle like my other monthly invoices customers.

But 6 weeks is ridiculous to not have been paid. Like others have said, you simply dont waste your time or product for their next application. They will either pay or call to complain about weeds.