Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

oil for a new exmark vantage?

i have been using straight 10 w30 oil for my vantage. id like to no what you guys prefer to run in your vantage? id like to no what lasts the longest and makes my machine look prime. thanks!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eztrak17 View Post
i have been using straight 10 w30 oil for my vantage. id like to no what you guys prefer to run in your vantage? id like to no what lasts the longest and makes my machine look prime. thanks!
I use Ktech oil in all my Exmark/Kawasaki engines. It's basically straight 30
Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

When in doubt, consult the engine section of your owners manual OR the engine manufacturer's website. I am not aware of any engine manufacturer that does not list oil recommendations--based primarily on the ambient temperature range in which the equipment is to be operated.

Follow the engine manufacturer's recommendations and more importantly, follow the recommended service intervals. There isn't a magic bullet(super oils, additives, etc) that's going to mask poor service standards.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea I'm almost positive the manual says straight 30, not 10w 30. Also I was told that regular automotive oil does not perform very well in these engines bc they are not made to try and keep engine temps down, since cars have radiators and mowers don't. But then again that came from my old dealer who never really told the truth. Exmark makes Premium Oil which is suppose to keep engine temps low which would improve the condition and life span of your engine.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Exmark may have a bottle of oil with their name on it but I'm quite certain they don't produce it. Buy a bottle of their oil and check the specs on it and compare to any other quality oil. Maybe the Exmark PR guy will check in clear up the confusion or possibly you can do your own research. I've never seen a quart of engine manufacturer's oil the wasn't a buck or two more expensive than a comparably spec'd oil--at least it was in a shop that I spent 7 years in.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What do you mean by straight oil?
Old 08-24-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

NAPA oil, Exmark oil, Valvoline, take your pick they are all basically the same weight for weight. I'd Be more concerned with how often it is changed out with a quality filter than the brand.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
What do you mean by straight oil?
You know how there's 10w-30, 10w-40 etc? Well when you have straight 30 there's no weight to it, so it's just 30, not 10w-30. Normally says SAE 30 on a bottle of straight 30.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

KAW in your Vantage?

My KAW engine manual says to run 30w...unless you're in a really hot climate, then 40w. The use of multi-viscosity oils (10w-30, 10w-40, etc...) will increase oil consumption.

Personally, I use a synthetic multi-viscosity oil and check my engine oil level often as it does require topping off from time to time. My advice: do your own research and then make a choice as to what brand/viscosity you choose to run.

The BEST advice was from TML. He said to be more concerned with often you change your engine oil as well as using a quality oil filter. I'll add to that by suggesting to change BOTH each time.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings