Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

In my own yard I have Captiva, another SA semi-dwarf. From past years I have learned not to feed it much nitrogen, if any, after April. I'm going to try the corn meal though. You getting that from BWI?
Old 08-21-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

@landscapepoet - I let it grow without a haircut for a month and it REALLY looked great and filled in. It was sort of a combo of heritage and no haircut for a month+. My grass always looks worse after its cut. These pics are within 3 to 4 days of its last cut. I had him switch to a push mower and as high as he can cut it. He used to use the rider and I figured it was too ruff on this turf. Maybe Ill have him skip the next cut - its on a 2 week cut schedule.

I used 4lbs of lesco turfbuilder 15-5-15. My lawn is about 1000sf. It seems to have greened up a bit after the fert. It was greener before the cut and before I put the fert. Cuts defintely hurt.

I heard the cornmeal thing before but wasnt sure if it really worked or was something the organic comunity was pushing. Ill put down 20 lbs if I can find it.

My soil is typicall miami sandy.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
In my own yard I have Captiva, another SA semi-dwarf. From past years I have learned not to feed it much nitrogen, if any, after April. I'm going to try the corn meal though. You getting that from BWI?
I am interested in the Captiva but have held off on installing as I have not seen a installation occur with it yet. Too risky for me with the unknown at this point.

The corn meal I had a local DIY pest control store order for me. It was bradfield organic by name brand. Here is a link to the product I used off of google.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrylundergard View Post

I heard the cornmeal thing before but wasnt sure if it really worked or was something the organic comunity was pushing. Ill put down 20 lbs if I can find it.
The cornmeal works and works well. My main issue with it is the cost...it is rather expensive per K.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Keith ,

Another Organic I would suggest.... Jungle Growth Pure Organic fertilizer. 11-2-3 . This product is one that a local PCO that I know purchased on clearance from Lesco late last year for $5 a bag. From the lawns that I care for that he used it on at a very heavy rate ( about double suggested) I witnessed very very very very deep dark green turf with no more excessive growth than synthetic if not less. Color appeared to maintain better off those applications as well than neighboring lawns that we care for in once circumstance which are treated with traditional synthetics.

Here is a link to the exact item on it

Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
I am interested in the Captiva but have held off on installing as I have not seen a installation occur with it yet. Too risky for me with the unknown at this point.

The corn meal I had a local DIY pest control store order for me. It was bradfield organic by name brand. Here is a link to the product I used off of google.
Hey that stuff looks nice. Im strongly considering ordering some. I didnt realize cornmeal was a fert. Would I be alright to put some of that down at anytime even though I put lesco granules down about a week ago? Just concerned about burn.

About hiring a pro. I tried truegreen (fail) though I know that hardly counts. It just made me realize that I want to learn how to manage my small patch of grass by my self. I should be able to figure out how to grow some good grass and its something I actually enjoy researching and doing.

I know my cutter is a problem. I need to talk to him again about height. He blows leaves and trims stuff around yard and I get a good price. I also dont have alot of storage space for a mower or the desire to do that part so hopefully I can work something out.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrylundergard View Post
Hey that stuff looks nice. Im strongly considering ordering some. I didnt realize cornmeal was a fert. Would I be alright to put some of that down at anytime even though I put lesco granules down about a week ago? Just concerned about burn.

About hiring a pro. I tried truegreen (fail) though I know that hardly counts. It just made me realize that I want to learn how to manage my small patch of grass by my self. I should be able to figure out how to grow some good grass and its something I actually enjoy researching and doing.

I know my cutter is a problem. I need to talk to him again about height. He blows leaves and trims stuff around yard and I get a good price. I also dont have alot of storage space for a mower or the desire to do that part so hopefully I can work something out.
Cornmeal can go down anytime ..suggested rates are 20 to 40 lbs per K. If you have a feed store (like cattle/horses) around you it would be worth investigating what they carry as it could potentially be cheaper. Almost any Organic Fertilizer (often grains available at feed stores) can be applied at anytime in our growing season (year round) here. The corn meal is know to be a natural fungicide...the green is just the added bonus.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

BWI has Bradfield products. Or at least they used to. I'll go there in the next few days and see how much it is. I believe they had another brand too. Maybe Espoma.

I've even had some outbreaks of disease with Sunniland 7-0-20, and almost all of that nitrogen is from sludge. I can say I've got it better figured out what the Captiva likes now than when I first put it in. This year I haven't put a darn thing on it since April. Well, some insecticide. About 20% of it gets infested with army worms every year. I'd still hesitate to use it in a customer's yard though. But I'd use it before Palmetto