Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-19-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok so today marks a new issue with the 52". I got the first lawn done. Go to start it to put on trailer I hear a loud pop like backfire and now I have no power. Engine starts blades engage but no throttle. Any ideas? 3 issues in 1 month...pto switch, a week later hydro belt, week later this. I just got the mower all tuned up. I'm beside my self. I understand the switch and belt are maintenance issues but man too much down time.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

good luck getting an answer on here from them lately....
Old 08-22-2013, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok so it was the throttle cable...Another new issue today...The 19HP engine is now backfiring at startup. Almost 700 hours on engine. It backfires whether I start at any speed low mid or full throttle. Just had tuneup...plugs, oils, filters etc...
Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Got the G3 blades on...tons of blowout with baffle on and cut looks the same as always...crap. Putting the stock blades back on.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'm about to throw mine on a trailer drive to maryland and drop it off on their doorstep
Old 08-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Sponsor

Cut It Close,

When the deck is at the 3" height what are the blade tip measurements? Are the spindles in the deck completely flat on the bottom or does the shaft stick out a 1/4" on the bottom? What is the serial number, I would like to see the warranty history on the unit and which 19 hp engine is on the unit? Did the tune up include valve adjustments? This was bought used correct, did the previous owner provide any service history on the mower?

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

Have you been talking with the dealer, everything I have recommended to try has either had no effect or made it worse, which is why I have tried to get the dealer in the mix since they are local.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightCommercial View Post
kawakx125,

Have you been talking with the dealer, everything I have recommended to try has either had no effect or made it worse, which is why I have tried to get the dealer in the mix since they are local.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
It was at the dealer for 3 weeks end of june, early july somewhere in there. I got rid of the g5 blades and went back to the scag 482878 with discharge baffle removed and it is cutting ok. I believe these blades to be somewhere in between the stock blades and a high lift, they are the standard ones on velocity + decks. we had a period here of rain and the grass grew like crazy so i was able to do some more evaluating and that's the setup i felt worked best. I can live with the cut quality with this setup.

dispersal isn't very good, and have a good amount of blowout still. If these issues can be made better i'll be alot happier. Even with the full baffle in place it still gets blowout. with full baffle in place the discharge is alot worse and unacceptable if you cut more than an inch or so off the grass. I can cut foot 8-10'' of thick lawn with my 36'' down to 3.5 or 4'' and it won't look like a mess.

I have come up with 2 options for bettering the blowout and would like your input. A- Move the blades up in the deck by removing 1 or 2 spacers. I have 5 on top of blade now since they are straight. have seen a loss in cut quality with other blades trying this, and also believe it might make discharge worse and not handle tall grass as well. B- Fabricate a slightly taller baffle, or modify existing one to be move it down a bit. would have same effect as moving blades up but still maintain space above them for discharge. As we transition into fall and the grass slows down growing a little and leaf cleanup season begins, i believe that i will be able to use full baffle and still disperse ok as long as its dry since i'll be taking off much less. Leaves are beginning to fall in some trees around here, and i'd like to be able to suck them up and mulch them a bit instead of just blowing them away with the blowout. even with a catcher on i still had difficulty picking them up on one property, even after putting discharge baffle back in place. there is no lift on the clippings exiting the deck either, so i believe a fair amount of leaves were being blown underneath the catcher also if that makes sense. the dispersal stays extremely low and flat, whereas on my 36 it kinda shoots them up a bit and away.

if any of that doesn't make sense i'll try to clarify it a bit more, i know its all jumbled up. I really do like everything about the mower but the deck, and hate to give up all of that up but thats the route i'm leaning towards if we can't figure something out with this deck. been spending way too much time modifying things for each individual lawn to get decent results. I think its far better suited to southern grasses as i have a couple yards that have large patches of the stuff and it does fine on those. in a nutshell, if dispersal can be improved, and blowout fixed i'll be happy.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

The Aero Core baffle is slightly different then the old deck baffle because it has the drop down sections on its lower edge where the old version was the same height from side to side. Moving the blades up by removing spacers will tuck more of the wing section of the blade into the baffle allowing more air to stay in the chamber. The only draw back depending on how high you position the blade is the relationship to the drop down sections, the cutting edge may end up higher than those sections and miss some grass. Remove one spacer at a time and test it and judge the blowout change and if there is any change in the cut around the drop down sections of the baffle. Also since the blade will be higher in the deck adjust the height selector the same amount down in height to maintain the cut height you want, this will also help reduce the blowout.

BestRegards
Wright Mfg.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

currently even if i remove 2 spacers i think my blade tip is still below the front of the baffle. i'll have to look at my baffle when i get home, but i think the only place its lower is about 6'' in from the discharge chute and only about 1/4''. other than that it seems to be straight across to me. so as long as the blade tip is below the baffle i shouldn't notice a difference in cut quality, discharge, or how much grass the deck can handle?