Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Carolina Top Dressing

Hey everyone. So I watched a lot of how to videos on YouTube and finally got my site online. I know I need pictures and a bit more information but please let me know what you see. Good and bad

Www.carolinatopdressing.com
Old 08-21-2013, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

www.carolinatopdressing.com
Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any input? Tony?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm far from a web guru but from a reader standpoint I like the site. I see your header is a PNG, I have no idea what the difference is but I know Tony always yells if it's a Jpeg so good job.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did it seem easy to navigate or make sense. That is my biggest goal
Old 08-22-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
I'm far from a web guru but from a reader standpoint I like the site. I see your header is a PNG, I have no idea what the difference is but I know Tony always yells if it's a Jpeg so good job.
I just spit coffee... Reminds me of the "Mom always says, 'Don't play ball in the house.'" episode of The Brady Bunch.

But, to clarify, I only yell when it's not the correct image format for the application. For Redden's banner image, it's the appropriate format for transparent images.

Looks like a good start. When I look at the menu, I see several options, but I'm not seeing a good, ol' fashioned "Our Product" or whatever wording. Even just "Top Dressing", to tell me what your core business is. I say this, even though I'm sure it's found within your site, because it's not presented naturally. And, since your site is not huge, and you have a core offering, you could just as easily tell me all about it on the home page. If you look at the opening words on the home page...

Carolina Top Dressing
We Make Your Lawn Come Alive!
Learn the how Carolina Top Dressing can make your lawn come alive with the application of premium compost!

...you're telling me I can learn about it, but there's no link to give me the info. I found it in the FAQ, but a FAQ isn't the place for basic presentation, whether from a sales or informational standpoint. If you think about it from Apple's perspective, each product page gives you the gist of what they're offering. The FAQ page is where they tell you not to soak your iPhone in water.

I'd read Moz and Google's respective beginner's guide to seo and apply that to your content and tags. For example, Title tags are supremely important, but yours are quite thin. You want to be "locationally" specific.

Speaking of location, you need to beef that up throughout your content and header/footer. "Carolina" is an expansive word. Google and customers need to have context so they can each find you, or best display your results.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
I just spit coffee... Reminds me of the "Mom always says, 'Don't play ball in the house.'" episode of The Brady Bunch.

But, to clarify, I only yell when it's not the correct image format for the application. For Redden's banner image, it's the appropriate format for transparent images.

Looks like a good start. When I look at the menu, I see several options, but I'm not seeing a good, ol' fashioned "Our Product" or whatever wording. Even just "Top Dressing", to tell me what your core business is. I say this, even though I'm sure it's found within your site, because it's not presented naturally. And, since your site is not huge, and you have a core offering, you could just as easily tell me all about it on the home page. If you look at the opening words on the home page...

Carolina Top Dressing
We Make Your Lawn Come Alive!
Learn the how Carolina Top Dressing can make your lawn come alive with the application of premium compost!

...you're telling me I can learn about it, but there's no link to give me the info. I found it in the FAQ, but a FAQ isn't the place for basic presentation, whether from a sales or informational standpoint. If you think about it from Apple's perspective, each product page gives you the gist of what they're offering. The FAQ page is where they tell you not to soak your iPhone in water.

I'd read Moz and Google's respective beginner's guide to seo and apply that to your content and tags. For example, Title tags are supremely important, but yours are quite thin. You want to be "locationally" specific.

Speaking of location, you need to beef that up throughout your content and header/footer. "Carolina" is an expansive word. Google and customers need to have context so they can each find you, or best display your results.
That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I will edit it tonight and let you know when it has been updated