Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-22-2013, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Come now GD. One has to merely pull a couple of MSDS's to demonstrate this is not true.
What is less likely to give someone E. coli, Listeria, Staphylococcus, Salmonella, or any number of parasites? Don't ever "come now" me. You hear? A child would have to eat fertilizer straight out of the bag or drink from the end of the spray hose to have a problem. DON"T EVER "come now" ME. I am talking about pathogens and parasites.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslawncare View Post
it isn't safe for kids to eat grass or leaves, and its bad parenting if they do that. Otherwise if you arent using other spray chemicals you should be ok. I tell my customers to wait until dry after a spray and the same thing is on the pesticide signs I even write the time and date and note liquid or dry of application on signs where I know they have dogs or kids. Placing a sign at the time of application takes it out of your responsibility. Its like slipping in a store with a sign stating 'wet floor' over the area of a wet floor.
Don't know how other kids are raised, but I was told to stay away from recently sprayed areas when I was a kid. The fact that parents will not do that any more is the very reason why the EPA sees it fit to relabel most of the pesticides so they may not be used on lawns and landscapes. There is too much exposure to children contacting recently treated grass. Of course there are always some jackwagons who let their kids on a lawn with spots of blue marker, realize it is a pesticide, then call every state agency. Keep your kids off of sprayed areas!

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-22-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So spreading compost is not completely safe either?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Organic... a general term. Natural? Synthetic organic? How synthetic? Any more, most companies that sell "natural" organic fertilizer synthetically modify their products.

"Natural" organic fert can contain dangerous pathogens, contaminants and hazardous dust particles.

Manure runoff often causes many lakes & rivers "off limits" for swimmers.

We stopped offering "natural fertilizers" some years back because we were concerned about health issues. We prefer to use professional products designed to be used in the green industry. Too many folks have children, grandchildren, dogs, cats, etc. Customers also prefer non smelling products.

We offered natural organic fert on a trial basis. Now we use clean products that work, don't smell, don't contaminate, and homeowners can walk on their lawn immediately (granular) or when it dries (liquid).

my 2 cents after 35 years

p.s. The day care centers who are customers also prefer non-organic because they have googled (after my recommendation)
Manure runoff into lakes and stream should've ended years ago... Most runoff into lakes and streams come from storm sewers in urban areas...
The idea that natural fertilizers are a health hazard is a pretty wide stretch in the propaganda dept.,,, assuming of course. that one is not stirring up dust clouds with it and breathing it into their lungs...
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The e-coli, listeria etc. are found in food processing plants, raw manure straight from the animal, but never heard of it being in compost... anyone else???
Old 08-22-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
What is less likely to give someone E. coli, Listeria, Staphylococcus, Salmonella, or any number of parasites? Don't ever "come now" me. You hear? A child would have to eat fertilizer straight out of the bag or drink from the end of the spray hose to have a problem. DON"T EVER "come now" ME. I am talking about pathogens and parasites.
I won't ever "come now" you GD if you don't make ignorant statements like that which does nothing more than misleads your less informed peers and insults the more informed ones. You are better and more intelligent than that. And since we are in the reprimanding mood, don't you ever patronize ME, you hear?

But since you are talking about pathogens/parasites, what particular products specifically are you talking about? Compost, corn mean, bone meal, feather meal, etc ..... ? Or are you just talking about raw shiit? Should we also stop eating vegetables and meat as these can also carry these harmful organisms?

Here's a list of OMRI products for you. Please let us know which products we should avoid due to these harmful organisms.

http://www.omri.org/sites/default/fi...rops_alpha.pdf

As an example, perhaps the OP is concerned about his children picking up and eating the pretty blue fertilizer pellets he just put all over the lawn that look like candy? How many of those can they eat before becoming ill?

Last edited by Kiril; 08-22-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I won't ever "come now" you GD if you don't make ignorant statements like that which does nothing more than misleads your less informed peers and insults the more informed ones. You are better and more intelligent than that. And since we are in the reprimanding mood, don't you ever patronize ME, you hear?

But since you are talking about pathogens/parasites, what particular products specifically are you talking about? Compost, corn mean, bone meal, feather meal, etc ..... ? Or are you just talking about raw shiit? Should we also stop eating vegetables and meat as these can also carry these harmful organisms?

Here's a list of OMRI products for you. Please let us know which products we should avoid due to these harmful organisms.

http://www.omri.org/sites/default/fi...rops_alpha.pdf

As an example, perhaps the OP is concerned about his children picking up and eating the pretty blue fertilizer pellets he just put all over the lawn that look like candy? How many of those can they eat before becoming ill?
Kiril:
Greendoctor has constantly given great help to many many members here. His advise is based on tried methods, proven rates, and many efforts with learned experts in turf. I very seldom seeing you giving nothing but, websites, hateful words or advise to people way across the country without regard for soil conditions, type or turf species. All of which enter into a decision. Re-read Greendoctor's comments. Oftentimes it seems that you are just trying to rack up the most posts of anyone. As a parent and teacher, no parent would allow their child at the age to wonder about much less out onto a lawn. You might! Or is that just another of your insights. I've never seen any pretty blue FERTILIZER much less it tasting like candy. Good Lord, get real and keep useless comments for yourself to mull over.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Greendoctor has constantly given great help to many many members here.
Never said he didn't, did I? In fact, I think GD gives the most spot on advice of just about anyone who contributes to this website. That said, when he compares table salt and swimming in the ocean to synthetic fertilizers, stating it is no more hazardous than .... well he is wrong. You don't like me pointing it out .... tough. I'm sure he and you will get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
I've never seen any pretty blue FERTILIZER much less it tasting like candy. Good Lord, get real and keep useless comments for yourself to mull over.
Funny, cause I have a bag of pretty blue fertilizer sitting in my garage right now, and I never said it tasted like candy I said it looked like candy. But don't let that stop you from making statements about me you have no hope of ever substantiating and putting words in my mouth.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
So spreading compost is not completely safe either?
Nothing is completely safe. Spreading properly finished compost will expose you to little risk of disease, but you might severely hurt your back. Spreading unfinished compost may expose you to pathogens.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Come now GD. One has to merely pull a couple of MSDS's to demonstrate this is not true.
I was intrigued by your proposed exercise, so I looked it up. According to Morton's Salt, common table salt (NaCl) has an LD50 acute oral toxicity to rats of 3,000 mg/kg. According to Agrium, 46-0-0 urea fertilizer (CO(NH2)2) has an LD50 acute oral toxicity to rats of 14,300 mg/kg.

As I'm sure you're aware, when an LD50 value is lower, it means that less of the material is needed to kill half of test population and is often used as a measure of toxicity.

A scan of the MSDS shows that common table salt is more toxic than urea fertilizer.