Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-16-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
I hope you get the job. Every time I get the "I'll talk it over with my husband" line, I never get the job.
Thanks for the bad news lol but at least I got a reply my first estimate got nothing lol
Old 08-16-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hopefully you get it. Maybe theyll discuss your different options. I only offer one price and I just never get the work when I hear that.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmike View Post
How long after do you follow up on an estimate? I sent one out on friday and still havent heard anything. Do you think I should send an email and if so how do I word it?

Turf size: 3200 sq flat lot, easy cut, corner house

I sent 3 different options

Basic - Mowing trimming edging as needed clean up - 25
Full Service - Mowing trimming edging bi weekly & clean up and bi weekly bed maintenance - $29
White glove Service - Mowing trimming edging weekly & clean up and weekly bed maintenance - $32.75

Do you think my prices are to high? They told me who they are with now i did some research they are an unlicensed landscaping company probably not insured and if they are probably do not have a high dollar policy. Should I pass this information on in the follow-up email? These unlicensed companies are killing me!
Magic Mike... have you ever thought about using your licensed and insured business to your advantage when marketing to new clients that you want to target? What I mean by that is have you thought about maybe using the pros of being a licensed lawn care company vs the cons of not being a licensed lawn care company in your marketing pieces. For example inform the potiental client that with you being licensed and insured does not mean that you will be the most expensive lco out there but it DOES mean that if I am using my mower,trimmer, etc. and something dangerous does happen you as the client will have a piece of mind that it will be covered and etc.

Just talk to them is all I'm trying to say. Idk I guess it comes easy for me to say because I can talk to anyone. I have faith in you!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you do an initial client interview before you give the estimate? During that initial phone call you should explain your different levels of service and ask which they would be interested in. Most people will say they're interested in the "white glove service" because at this point you haven't assigned a price to it and naturally everyone wants the best. Then when you send the estimate only send them the price for the service level they asked for. Make sure in that estimate you mention the extra benefits of the white glove service which they probably asked for, then when your estimate is next to a couple of others even if your price is a little higher they can see the extra services and the benefit of those services and a couple dollars isn't a big deal.

There's a real opportunity there, you can use your service levels alone as a pre-qualifier of sorts. Pretty much anyone that doesn't want the white glove service you can take if you need to fill a route but plan on tossing them when you can. The ones who are interested in paying more to get better service off the bat are the ones worth holding onto. After some time and some narrowing of your client list the "white glove service" will just be "service".