Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wondering what some of you guys are using for pre-emergent this year?, its about that time. whos started already?
Old 08-22-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
wondering what some of you guys are using for pre-emergent this year?, its about that time. whos started already?
Dimension. In a couple weeks
Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's an updste on my river sand top dressing.

Overall, I'm happy with the results. I feel like it would have recovered better if we didn't have the rainiest summer on record and actually had some sun. It's been like seattle here for the last month and a half. Not ideal conditions for bermuda but perfectly conditions for fungus growth . It's noticeably smoother to mow.

I'm currently mowing at 3/4" tall. Mowing has slowed down to twice a week now.

As for the pre-emergent. I was planning on prodiamine (split app) but I'm on the fence about using spectacle this year. I'll start in a few weeks.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm planning on using prodiamine again as well, i used it last fall it worked out pretty good. I have been on the fence about specticle myself, i've heard more good than bad.. I wanted to use simazine this year to change things up, but not sure my skid would keep it agitated properly with the electric shurflo pump with a bypass agitation.. so, gonna use granular stonewall mostly, and Resolute 4fl, which seemed to work well out of my skid this past spring.

how is dimension for poa control? i used dimension on a few yards this spring, and the results were not as good as the ones that i used prodiamine on.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
Dimension Sept 15th.
Just did my last app of fert for the summer.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrager View Post
Mac-who supplied the sand? Great job!
GJ-I've never seen a top dresser for rent. Have you found one?
I just found a Top dresser for rent... In Newnan GA!!! about 75 Miles from me, so I am going to eat the gas on this one. Will this work for spreading sand? view the link below

http://www.earthandturf.com/100sp.htm

Last edited by gulfjoe; 05-05-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Soccer field bermuda seed labor cost?

I've recently been asked to seed a family members church soccer field south of San Antonio, Tx and have know idea what a fair price would be to offer him as I plant seeds on pipelines and ranches? They've already roto-tilled the area, removed debris, weeds etc..and want me to use my 10' cultipacking planter that I typically use for pipelines and ranches but there is no way I can make money using a $45,000 tractor and $20,000 planter on this soccer field but I have a Lawn solutions Toro brand revitalizer/seeder that basically slits the ground open and seeds and is self propelled. Any ideas as what I can fairly charge this customer/church using a self propelled revitalizer with Bermuda seed and my own two legs?...thanks!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gulfjoe, that should work. It may not fill the low spots as well as spreading by hand, but it'll definitely save your back.

Wow this winter was brutal on my yard and plants. I have a ton of winter kill/SDS this year. Probably combination of the bermuda recovering from the sanding and the the brutal winter. Between the week where we had temps in the single digits and the snow and ice storms, landscapes all over atlanta suffered. I also lost two azaleas in the backyard. My dwarf gardenias in the front lost all of their foliage and are slowly sprouting new foliage. Also lost some of my perennial ornamental grasses in the back. I have taken some plugs from the dense areas and plugged them in some of the bare spots. I have never seen it this bad. Also, the burn weed is terrible this year! Worst I've ever seen it.

We're finally consistently in the upper 80's during and mid to upper 60's at night, just in the last week, the bermuda is sending runners all over the place. I'm also getting some seed heads in the backyard as of saturday. Mowing twice a week right now @ 5/8" with the tru-cut. Probably going to have to bump it up to 3 times a week pretty soon. Once the SDS is filled in, I think I'm going to experiment with some primo this year. Also doing the spoonfeeding method this year.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Were doing it by hand. They wanted $275 a day and I had to drive 60 miles to get it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2014, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are a few quick pics... a lot more to come.

Here's the run down

10,000 sqft of turf, 17 yards of sand.... 2 worn out day laborers from the side of the road and 1 sunburn and hurt back.
Attached Images