Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-21-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anything can bag, it just depends on how much you want it to bag. Grasshopper has up to 22 cu ft hoppers.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the additonal responses.

I don't want to bag, I want to collect and dump.

There is a Gravely dealer here in town. I will check into that.

I would prefer a good used unit. I can do my own mechanic work as long as I have something worth having to start with. I found a Grasshopper not far from here with the dump collector, 60" and 24HP Kohler liquid cooled. It's a 2005 model with low (250) hours. Anyone know the reliability history on the liquid cooled Kohler?

Also, I did notice the speeds on the Walker website and I think it would get old in a hurry after my 12MPH Bad Boy.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are mowing areas with few obstructions pick something other than a walker, they were really designed for detail work. I have a 2 acre property I do that has 50 or so trees and bushes scattered around it. It is faster to complete with my walker (as opposed to a front mount new holland that goes 2x as fast) because the trim time with the walker is 5 minutes. Mostly just walking between the spots that need trimming. Left side of deck I'm using extends 18 inches out from mower and gets under bushes so far there is no trimming to do.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
If you can find one with the T drive
JC,

Can you elaborate on the T Drive? It appears that this is what's on the new 7 series Grasshoppers, but not on the older ones.

Thanks for your comments.

Larry
Old 08-22-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I have found a 2004 model 725K2 with the dump from seat grass collection. It has a 25HP liquid cooled Kohler and a 60" deck. It has 250 hours. When I called him he came down on the price to $7000. I'm gonna do some more research and go talk to them this afternoon.

Any comments or advice is welcome.

Larry
Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well it turned out to be incorrect in the ad. It has a 25hp Kohler command horizontal shaft v twin. It is a well cared for nice machine that was kept indoors until traded in last winter. The weather has taken a toll, but with some tlc I think I can make a nice mower out of it.

Running it made me realize how spoiled I've gotten over the quiet of my liquid cooled kaw.

It needs a battery and cables, although we started it and I ran it. It mows really nice, but the vac wasn't working. I have discovered that there is a kit with a liner for the vac and there isn't much to it. I think I can fix it without too much trouble. I need to get the old gas out, change fluids and maybe just replace all the belts.

I think a pressure washer and a grease gun along with some other odds and ends will do wonders for it. I am getting it on the cheap and I am my own mechanic so I think it will come out well.

Anyone ever take apart one of these vacs? It doesn't look like much of a problem.

The deck is making lots of noise. I think it's just the cover rattling, but even if I have to go through the spindles or something, it should be well worth it.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

My Grasshopper 22-ft collector (I use for leaves) works basically OK but not perfectly. Have to dismount because the leaves stick in the hopper even though I polished the floor. When pulling the contents out you have to fight with the heavy door. When near full, the weight makes a bad traction problem worse. Easy to overfill, and clearing a jam is a pain. Empty hopper on two casters is heavy and awkward to install/remove. Collection tube often troublesome. But it does beat hand-raking.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, sorry I am late to the party...

If you are looking to collect and dump from the seat, look no further... Walker is what you want...

Now, it's been stated and it's true, for collection purposes, Walker only offers the GHS system in a 52 in. for the largest deck size that collects.... Now, you can add an aftermarket bagger for the super b or the new H series which does come in a 60. But this is the cumbersome collection system found on other mid mount Z turns... Nothing at all like the GHS system..

I think I heard a rumor or rumblings about Grasshopper adding a high lift dump system? Maybe somebody else can confirm this...?

Grasshoppers are great, I really don't have anything bad to say about them.... Same with Gravely, I think Gravely makes great machines.

But if we are talking about cutting grass and collecting it all while keeping the quality of cut at the top of the list, Walker has been proven time and time again to come out on top...

A lot of folks think that the aftermarket bagging systems that you can put on an Exmark or Gravely for that matter are cumbersome, and they are right... The advantage to the Walker GHS system is the fact that the whole process is streamlined... And...... This is the genius of Walker in the first place, the ability to collect and have one of the best cuts in the industry all at the same time...

But that's just the tip of the iceberg... You can mulch with any of the Walker models, and also side discharge....

If speed is a factor for you, Walker does make the B and H series which are their version of a mid mount.... You get the extraordinary cut of a Walker with the speed of a mid mount.

You also have a plethora of attachments and implements to choose from, I know it doesn't snow in Texas so the snowblower attachments wouldn't help you but the de-thatcher, blower, bed edger, aerator, power broom, dozer blade, and loader bucket are all awesome add ons that make life that much easier...

At least promise me this..... Go to www.walkermowers.com and take a look around....

You will presently surprised, I promise...
Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been in business for over 20 years and in my opinion nothing compares to the walker, sick of hearing they're too slow. i can cut i/2 acre lawns with 2 walkers than a guy with 2 mid mounts during the spring and fall and do a way better job, the mid mounts throw grass all over mulch beds and driveways, i've even seen grass all over the siding on quite a few houses.there is way more weed whacking , double and triple cutting and tankfuls of gas from blowing clumps off grass,walkways, steps and flower beds. i will use a large mid mount on big fields and larger properties where they can fly and quality is really not important
Old 03-26-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

The new John Deere Z900's! Has a power flow bagging system, with a 14 bushel dump from seat. You can get mower in 48", 54" or 60", and a 23, 25 27, or 31 horse Kawasaki engine. One of the best or they best mower on the market today!