Register free!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Specticle on bermuda common, 419, and Zoysia

Now that specticle has been out a while has anyone used it enough to see the good and the bad on bermuda lawns we are getting ready to put out some pre emergents on some warm season lawns and was wanting to try specticle so we aren't waiting on celsius to work on poa 3 weeks later as a post emergent which mostly what we are trying to control located in the triangle or central eastern NC thanks
Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Bayer stands behind more than any product they have ever put out. Everyone swears by it. But I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig in my area. I'm more concerned about Centipede and St. Augustine. I know a lot of golf courses are applying it on Bermuda.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

im using it this year. never used it before. we shall see. Theres a big company with 6000 accounts down my way(dorseys) that use it and I spoke to several of his techs and they say its amazing. Im concerned about it not getting watered in though
Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
im using it this year. never used it before. we shall see. Theres a big company with 6000 accounts down my way(dorseys) that use it and I spoke to several of his techs and they say its amazing. Im concerned about it not getting watered in though
Being in ATL, do you have any bermuda lawns next to fescue lawns? The label says you have to leave an untreated strip between Bermuda and fescue lawns.

The label also says that common bermuda has a different max app rate than hybrid lawns. I know ag inspectors are keying in on that for this year. My good friend from our high school days is a GA ag inspector and he says they are counting on citing a lot of LCOs this year b/c the label restrictions make it so hard for LCOs to follow.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no fescue lawns next to my Bermuda lawns. very few fescue lawns here
Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

as far as max rates. 6 for common and 9 for hybrid. I don't see many people wanting to go over 6 in a single app due to cost. That would be a lot of $$$$. and you can go 18.5 in a single year. I don't think I have to worry about going over
Old 08-24-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
as far as max rates. 6 for common and 9 for hybrid. I don't see many people wanting to go over 6 in a single app due to cost. That would be a lot of $$$$. and you can go 18.5 in a single year. I don't think I have to worry about going over
That's the catch, I think. Check out Bayer's research data. If you go at 6, you will prevent poa, but you won't stop any broadleaves - chickweed and henbit city.

But, if you apply enough to reduce your broadleaf count in common bermuda, you exceed the label and get fined.

Maybe not enough people have used Specticle yet to know what it does and what it doesn't do.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
That's the catch, I think. Check out Bayer's research data. If you go at 6, you will prevent poa, but you won't stop any broadleaves - chickweed and henbit city.

But, if you apply enough to reduce your broadleaf count in common bermuda, you exceed the label and get fined.

Maybe not enough people have used Specticle yet to know what it does and what it doesn't do.
I think you are right. seems everyone has a different answer. If it doesn't work ill never use it again. I know the big company around me has the best looking yards around and used it at I believe 6 oz per acre and was clean all the way through. I will be furious if I have weeds as I met with the bayer rep and he assured me I wouldn't. we will see.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

We used a lot of it this past year in the Raleigh area with good results.