Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Open office is almost identical to Microsoft Office but it's 100% free. I tried it once when I was sick of constantly paying to upgrade microsoft and it worked perfectly fine but things were put in different places and worked just a touch different. I have spent enough time learning the microsoft system that I don't want to change. If you take the time to learn how to use office I'm sure it's absolutely no different other than the price. To the OP sorry I did check my files on a computer with open office and you can open them but the formatting gets all screwed up the way I have it done which makes all the equations not work.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
Open office is almost identical to Microsoft Office but it's 100% free. I tried it once when I was sick of constantly paying to upgrade microsoft and it worked perfectly fine but things were put in different places and worked just a touch different. I have spent enough time learning the microsoft system that I don't want to change. If you take the time to learn how to use office I'm sure it's absolutely no different other than the price. To the OP sorry I did check my files on a computer with open office and you can open them but the formatting gets all screwed up the way I have it done which makes all the equations not work.
Wow.. that simple ehh? How do I go about obtaining Open Office TTS?
Old 08-22-2013, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

www.openoffice.org
Old 08-22-2013, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
Thank you good sir
Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I use open office. I like that its free and I can save as an excel file to send out to people. You can also open a word doc in the program. I'd be interested in anyone calculations also. Haha. I've tried to work up a spreadsheet for different aspects if my business but I can't seem to get one that works for me.

I. Usually end of with scrap paper and 20 different chicken scratch methods throughout the year.

I do my own payroll and did set up a spread sheet to where I enter the hours, wage rate, and state/fed withholding and it calculates the net pay
Old 08-22-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I use open office. I like that its free and I can save as an excel file to send out to people. You can also open a word doc in the program. I'd be interested in anyone calculations also. Haha. I've tried to work up a spreadsheet for different aspects if my business but I can't seem to get one that works for me.

I. Usually end of with scrap paper and 20 different chicken scratch methods throughout the year.

I do my own payroll and did set up a spread sheet to where I enter the hours, wage rate, and state/fed withholding and it calculates the net pay
That's great to hear!!! I will definitely have to get a copy of this program. From what you just informed me on is that it is just like Microsoft Office Home and Student but without the Bill Gate's price!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy77 View Post
Yep I use open office calc and keep all my info with me at all times on my iphone using google drive in case I need to add / remove / modify a customers info on the go. I have it set up to automatically figure out price / sales tax / and material used based on just the square footage . All I do is enter the name/ address / sqft. I keep tabs on about 250 customer this way for lawncare / bed weed control / aerations etc. i just keep a different spreadsheet fir each service .best part is both programs are free. A little learning will save you a lot if money while all the stubborn guys pay $2000 a year for software.
I'v used both. Microsoft is defiantly better, however this is a big subjective. as mentioned above formatting can be change when opening different files. but the biggest difference is going to be when you get into more advanced things. graphs and that sort of thing. now, its been a while so i'm sure open office has gotten better about that stuff since my last time. for the most part they work exactly the same and i'm surprised someone opened a file and the formulas didnt work.

Another option is using google calc (drive.google.com, docs.google.com). The thing that i like about it is that you can share sheets with other people and watch them as they edit it, even edit it at the same time. I plan on using it this winter with my subs. ill share a route sheet with them and they check off the work they did on what date.

tommy, is there any chance you would be willing to share your sheet? i'v been wanting to do the same but it takes time to measure out the sqft for different types of jobs and figure out what costs and profit margins are for different services. I would appreciate it.

In return i would be able to share a sheet i made for my mowing route. You list your customers, pricing, address, notes and a few other things on each line. then at the end of the day all you have to do is put a check next to each line/customer you mowed that day. At the end of the week or month all you do is go to the past page in the sheet, export it, and import it into quick books. all of the data then gets put into quick books in a matter of seconds. All of your data entry for the month done in just a few moments.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yep I use open office calc and keep all my info with me at all times on my iphone using google drive in case I need to add / remove / modify a customers info on the go. I have it set up to automatically figure out price / sales tax / and material used based on just the square footage . All I do is enter the name/ address / sqft. I keep tabs on about 250 customer this way for lawncare / bed weed control / aerations etc. i just keep a different spreadsheet fir each service .best part is both programs are free. A little learning will save you a lot if money while all the stubborn guys pay $2000 a year for software.

So, I've got a lot of estimate templates sorted out, but I'm stuck on setting up customer templates. Like prices by entering customer name, tracking phone calls, addresses, that stuff. Got any information on how you set yours up? Thanks
Stihl KM-130R + attachments
Stihl MS 362 chainsaw
Shindaiwa DH-254 hedgetrimmer
Shindaiwa 242 string trimmer
JRCO leaf plow
JRCO dethatcher
Husqvarna 580BFS blowers
Fradan Power 18hp truckloader
accelerator large bagger
5x12 trailer with custom-made high sides and racks
Kobalt shovels, rakes, hand tools, power tools, and everything else!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In return i would be able to share a sheet i made for my mowing route. You list your customers, pricing, address, notes and a few other things on each line. then at the end of the day all you have to do is put a check next to each line/customer you mowed that day. At the end of the week or month all you do is go to the past page in the sheet, export it, and import it into quick books. all of the data then gets put into quick books in a matter of seconds. All of your data entry for the month done in just a few moments.[/QUOTE]

Birddseedd, you wouldn't be able to email me that mowing route sheet, could you?
Stihl KM-130R + attachments
Stihl MS 362 chainsaw
Shindaiwa DH-254 hedgetrimmer
Shindaiwa 242 string trimmer
JRCO leaf plow
JRCO dethatcher
Husqvarna 580BFS blowers
Fradan Power 18hp truckloader
accelerator large bagger
5x12 trailer with custom-made high sides and racks
Kobalt shovels, rakes, hand tools, power tools, and everything else!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Hey I just started my business this year and estimating is something I would really like to improve on. Sounds like you have it worked out pretty good. Did you teach yourself how to use office or did you take some classes? I would really like to know becuase I just jumped into the business this year after reading this for the last year and saving up for my equipment. I'm only 19 and plan on setting up a business plan this off season, but being so inexperienced I didn't want to write one up that is unrealistic. Just after the last 3 months of mowing, I've already learned a lot, and I'm out of college now so I can devote all the time needed to my business.
Posted via Mobile Device