Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
If the vendor notifies the Tax Commissioner in writing of such refusal by the customer, the vendor may be relieved of any liability. The notification must include the name and, if known, address of the purchaser, the purchase price of the item, and the amount of tax not collected. The vendor may also be relieved of any liability if he has accepted IN GOOD FAITH false, expired, cancelled or otherwise ineffective or unlawful exemption documentation. If a customer gives you any of the following exemption documents instead of paying the tax, keep it on file for future reference.
Not all states follow the same requirements so check with your tax department. But like I said, 99% of this is miscommunication so there is no need to go that far. The right way to give a quote is in writing with the amount, tax and total right there. Don't just say $100, then when they leave a check for $100 you have to tell them there is tax on that. Get it right from the beginning.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
Not all states follow the same requirements so check with your tax department. But like I said, 99% of this is miscommunication so there is no need to go that far. The right way to give a quote is in writing with the amount, tax and total right there. Don't just say $100, then when they leave a check for $100 you have to tell them there is tax on that. Get it right from the beginning.
i'm sorry but if you live in a state that takes sales tax on services and you pay tax on every service you ever buy.... they know they owe the taxes.

If i were in that position i would just quote 106 a month and mention to them it includes taxes. that way from the start 106 is in their mind, not 100. if they write a check for 100 chance are they are just dumb anyway, or are hoping youll pay the tax for them in which case they are cheap bastards trying to take advantage of someone.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
I guess to an extent that may be our fault. I have always said, for example... the service will be $50 plus tax.... Not, $53, or $42.40, something with the change stated. I don't know how many people have actually ever stated a precise amount ($42.40), they always say something like, $42, $40, etc. But we have always said the amount "plus tax". And that's also wrote on the quotes too. Not the actual total, but "plus tax" is in writing.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just send them a bill for the tax amount. they know they have to pay it.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=BandBLawncare;4845225]What part of WV are you in?[/QU