Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-22-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Man, I don't know....Almost two and a half gallons per hour sounds VERY high! Like higher than carbed versions, high!

I would seriously like to see you put factory blades on it and mow as long as you can and fill up at a gas station.
I may well do that, at least with one side but I'm confident in my measurements and my terrain stays the same from week to week so the test was on the grass I cut. The factory blades perhaps make a difference but I've ran a tank completely empty a couple times and it was empty considerable faster than I expected it to be. I'm as certain as can be that my measurements are accurate, as bad as they are. It is kinda hard to believe but, again, I took pains and my numbers are correct.

I'll tell my whole zero turn story whether anyone wants to hear it or not.

Back in 1999 I had a Garden Way Troy Built lawn tractor with a 38" mulching deck. I hauled it in the bed of my 1988 350tbi GMC pick-up, loading it with those aluminum ramp ends that I had on a couple 2"x12"s. I had the holes drilled in the tailgate where I'd put a couple screws in the ramp to keep it from sliding off the tailgate.

One day the screws were misplaced so I loaded it anyway. No problem. I got complacent. One day I was loading without the safety screws and forgot to raise the deck. It spun the ramps out and I dropped the mower on the concrete driveway. I missed a real good chance to get hurt that day.

I took the mower to New Albany Tractor to be fixed. Ran up about a $600 bill but it was fixed right. While I was there, Honest John Read touted me on a Dixie Chopper 20th anniversary edition that was priced at $4995 same as the price when DC were introduced in 1980 is what he said. Well I loved it so I bought one. Kept it 10 years and put about 500 near trouble free hours on it. It burned about a gallon an hour.

It only had a 3 gal tank and a 17hp Kohler Command 50" deck. I could finish cutting without running out of gas if I started full every time. I got tired of that and the rough ride and the chain ht adjustment but the mower handled the best and cut very good. Seems like I got $3000 or 3200 in a private sale.

When Grasshopper came out with their 226V I thought that was the answer. 12 gal tank, 26 hp Briggs, springs under the seat....everything I wanted to improve on my DC so I bought one when the factory rep was demoing at my local GH dealer. My buddy Sam ran a gas station 4blocks from where I live and I could get there driving the alleys so I was going to end hauling gas in 5 gal cans and life was going to be great. I filled up once and about 3 days later one of his gas tanks sprang a leak and Sammy closed out his gas tanks and quit selling gas altogether.

My GH was one of the first ones off the line and it was a lemon. Chewed completely through 4 belts and threw the belt every other time I mowed seems like. The Briggs developed a serious oil leak at 150 hours and I just didn't trust the mower so I decided for my 62nd birthday I'd treat myself to a high end mower and now here I am whining about how much gas I'm burning thru my BobCat Predator Pro (but that's all I can complain about as I really like everything else about this mower.)

If I could turn back the hands of time and get a do over I'd still be buzzing around on that old Dixie Chopper.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Great history there! Love stories like this!

But seriously...do some searches and you'd find it VERY hard for anyone to report ANY mower consuming 2 gal/hr let alone almost 2.5 gal/hr!

I really do think something is wrong with your mower! That or your measuring cup!? This is why I suggest filling up at a gas station and letting it go over a much longer period of time.

Not many manufacturers are using the EFI version of your engine, but a lot use the carbed version. Do some searches.

Any pics of the new mower!?

The Chopper sure was a "no frills" mower!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 08-22-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Great history there! Love stories like this!

But seriously...do some searches and you'd find it VERY hard for anyone to report ANY mower consuming 2 gal/hr let alone almost 2.5 gal/hr!

I really do think something is wrong with your mower! That or your measuring cup!? This is why I suggest filling up at a gas station and letting it go over a much longer period of time.

Not many manufacturers are using the EFI version of your engine, but a lot use the carbed version. Do some searches.

Any pics of the new mower!?

The Chopper sure was a "no frills" mower!
My 36 BB is using about 2.0gph a carb version. With only 15hrs on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the DFI is using much the same for now, once they get 100hrs + then the DFI should be a little better.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe your right, plus the added drag of the G6's.

Just seems like a LOT compared to my BB EFI Kohler.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here it is first day.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesharp View Post
Here it is first day.

This is what Kawasaki has to say about their 37 dfi. While knowing the 35 carbed model is in the 2 gph range, as you can see below it makes no sense your dfi should burn that amount fuel. A realistic fuel usage number for your engine should be in the 1.5 gph to no more than 1.8 gph in extremely difficult cutting.

QUOTE:

While actual testing in the Lab has shown a fuel efficiency gain of only about 10 to 12 percent at WOT and full load, field-testing has shown gains in the neighborhood of 30 percent due to the various speed and load requirements.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Again, testing is needed NOT running G6 blades, fwiw. Go with the factory blades for some added validity.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-24-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
This is what Kawasaki has to say about their 37 dfi. While knowing the 35 carbed model is in the 2 gph range, as you can see below it makes no sense your dfi should burn that amount fuel. A realistic fuel usage number for your engine should be in the 1.5 gph to no more than 1.8 gph in extremely difficult cutting.

QUOTE:

While actual testing in the Lab has shown a fuel efficiency gain of only about 10 to 12 percent at WOT and full load, field-testing has shown gains in the neighborhood of 30 percent due to the various speed and load requirements.
They will say what they like to sell stuff. I never trust those statements unless backed up with some kind of proof.

However Im sure 1.8 or slightly less will be realistic once the engine is run in!

If the DFI will get 1.5 what will the EFI get?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Again, testing is needed NOT running G6 blades, fwiw. Go with the factory blades for some added validity.
Yeah, that's what I'll do next and that would be more accurate results for stock mowers but I'm always going to use either a G6 or some other model Gator blade because I love the way it makes a yard look after a few cuts. The clippings just disappear and it almost looks like I bag but that's never going to happen. I'd like to try some G5's but I'm not sure what the model # is. All I could find was G3 fusion 496727 but I'll bet the 596347 G5 listed for Scag would fit but it looks like Oregon would have listed it if they fit Bobcat but they didn't.

And I don't want anyone to think I'm dogging the Kaw dfi because I'm not. This engine is easy to live with, it's a genuine powerhouse, starts easy with no choking and it's been 20 hours since I changed the oil and it hasn't used any. Using a choke never bothered me but it's sure easy to get used to not doing it. It's just using more gas than I expected but the G6 blades and the newness probably contribute to the lousy gph.

I've got a 1990 Evinrude XP200 outboard that gets 3 mpg wide open and it will go through 20 gallons in an hour if you run 65mph. If you're gonna let the big dog run you got to let it drink.

And, while this is more power than I need, it is nice to have. I pull a 5'x8' tilt trailer with it to haul limbs, misc and it's fun to race around the yard.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just love seeing threads like this. A lot of people talking about stuff that is way over their heads.

FYI:

A properly tuned carbed motor will get about the same as a efi/dfi engine minus the float bowl bounce waste (aka smooth yard the float bowl level is where it should be vs a bumpy yard).

The term efi/dfi in the mower world means electronic or digital fuel injection. Which is just marketing terms. One mfg uses a closed loop system which they market efi and another mfg uses a open loop system which they term dfi. DFI in the auto world means direct fuel injection which is completely different and a better set up.

Fuel consumption is based on displacement of the motor and how hard its used. Kawi's fd791d dfi gets 1 gph typically which is 750cc's, which they also bumped the compression ratio to get a higher hp rating over the carbed version.

You guys are talking a 1000cc engine I believe and how do the compression ratio's compare? Can you guys figure out if 750cc's get 1 gph what a 1000cc engine should get in the same conditions?

The op gph rates are really high which makes me think that I would check way he is measuring. Next thing I would do is check the fuel pressure and see if the regulator is messed up. Lastly check plug condition. If its not light tan you know its getting too much fuel if its darker.