Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-23-2013, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
If you have the funds and can justify the extra expense, get a hydro.

I started out with a Snapper pro 36" pistol grip belt drive walk behind 4 years ago. Over the years I picked up more and more clients and running the belt drive for extended periods of time started to bother me. This spring I sold the belt drive (for what I paid for it!) and bought a lightly used (200ish hours and owned by a homeowner) Snapper Pro 36 hydro with loop handles and floating deck for $1400! The thing was mint! Wow, what a difference. I love the hydro so much more! The loops handles are much more ergonomic as well. I can do true zero turns on the hydro (not a pivot like with a belt drive). I run the same 2 wheel haevenar sulky behind it that I was running behind the old one.

I'm still running a 36 because I service pretty small "postage stamp" properties (2500-4500 sq ft of turf). They're all tight together. The 36" is so much more productive than a 21 but it's still marginally too big for some of the small properties. I'm toying with the idea of adding a 30" exmark next year to see if I can be just as productive but leave a slightly better cut and not rut as bad. I'll have my part time helper run the 30 on the smaller properties and I'll use the 36 on the larger ones.

As my business expands, I think I'll continue to run WB's due to the cheaper price tag, less maintenance, and the terrain around here. Most of the larger companies around here (brickman, valleycrest, crabapple, gibbs, mobile joe's) run turf tracers w/ sulkies for the most part. They have very few Ztr's in their fleets. There are very few properties around here that would allow you to fully take advantage of the speed of a ZTR due to the terrain. Very rarely do I even run my WB wide open on small residentials.

Like others have said, find what gives you the best compromise between expense, cut quality, operator fatigue, and productivity. There is no "best" mower for everyone. We all have different needs.
Had 3 of the snappers over the years. 2 48's and a 52. Love those machines and the handles.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRRITECH View Post
You can cut every yard with a Walkbehind.
yes by why spend 1 hr mowing a lawn when you can get done in 30 minutes and it looks just as good when you get done?

i mow every one of my customer's yards with a ztr mower. everything from 1/4 of an acre up to 3 acres.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
yes by why spend 1 hr mowing a lawn when you can get done in 30 minutes and it looks just as good when you get done?

i mow every one of my customer's yards with a ztr mower. everything from 1/4 of an acre up to 3 acres.

Well good for you.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Had 3 of the snappers over the years. 2 48's and a 52. Love those machines and the handles.
I love the loop handles. I wish the newer models still had them. I've put a little over 50 hours on the machine so far this year and I like it much better than the old belt drive model. Plus less turf damage with the ability to do true zero turns.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question, can you fescue guys run those pretty stripes at full speed?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
All depends on how long the grass is and how bumpy the lawn is. If its real bumpy, you need to slow down as the stripes make it very obvious if your geting thrown all over.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
We sure can't with the bermuda down here... The lawns would look like leopard print from all the scalping due to bouncing.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post

This thread comes up year after year. It all depends on your lawns. 1/4 acre lot is huge in my world. 90 percent om my lawns you could not use your z on. They are all gated and too small to warrant a large mower. I use nothing but 21's and my actual mowing time is around 15 min per lawn, I have no use for a z on these small lots. I think wb's are far better for something under a 1/4 acre. Most the time these smaller lawns have no wide open space and are full of obstacles such as swing sets, bird baths etc.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Advantage of Walk-Behind?

I run belt drive WB's. I bought them new in '98. A 36" & a 48". I know reverse doesn't work I just don't get into situation's where I need it. I have run Z's but it seemed like half the time they were parked beside the truck while I used the WB. In my area in the north Ga Mtn area there are very few flat yards. It's just what seems to work best for me in my location. With that being said I have a friend that runs 2 Exmark 60" Z's only. No push mower or WB's. I don't see how he does it.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonman View Post
This thread comes up year after year. It all depends on your lawns. 1/4 acre lot is huge in my world. 90 percent om my lawns you could not use your z on. They are all gated and too small to warrant a large mower. I use nothing but 21's and my actual mowing time is around 15 min per lawn, I have no use for a z on these small lots. I think wb's are far better for something under a 1/4 acre. Most the time these smaller lawns have no wide open space and are full of obstacles such as swing sets, bird baths etc.
yep. i said a ztr and a 21" can handle everything. if it's that small of a yard a 21" will do just fine. a walkbehind just adds cost and maintenance and you really wouldn't get done that much faster on a tiny yard like that using a 32" or 36" mower.

if anything a 30" exmark pushmower would be a better option for those types of yards.