Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't look at high end business, too much. The last one I visited insisted on bagging, which I don't do. She expressed frustration with the crew that did her yard, because they never came when She wanted them to. I told her I could be responsive within a day, but no bagging. How much? I said $75.00 first time and we'd see, after that.
She said the two man crew was doing it for $25.00 and it took them an hour. How can anyone send out a crew for that kind of money? I figured it for about two hours. If less, I would have lowered the price, but still no bagging. I did not get the job. Lucky me, I think.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons37 View Post
I'm the guy with the Walmart Rider and the Craftsman pushers and the 200 foot long extension cord. I'm also the guy with the small chipper/shredder and 8HP walk behind leaf blower and gas fired generator and pole saw and tree loppers. I have a small trailer and a beat up Jeep. I'm a handy guy. I have insurance, too. I'm more expensive than the big mower crowd. I can offer what they can't: time to do a good and thorough job. When I see a problem, like a broken branch, if I can reach it, I'll take it down and if it's small enough, I'll chip it. I'll blow off a driveway with three years of crap built up on it. This method has worked for me and I do not worry about equipment payments or truck payments. I stay busy and work at least 4 days a week. I actually get tips, too. Sometimes, even coffee. I have customers in their 30s and some in their 70s and all in between.
I like this guy^ I can't stand the jerks that think they own the town... I like my small overhead. That way the customer & I both feel good afterwards . Jerks think I'm going broke I didn't support my wife through med school for nothing
Old 08-24-2013, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a old Toyota Camry that's beat up. Once in a while I'll ride around with a push mower in the trunk and a trimmer sticking out the back, just for fun.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons37 View Post
I don't look at high end business, too much. The last one I visited insisted on bagging, which I don't do. She expressed frustration with the crew that did her yard, because they never came when She wanted them to. I told her I could be responsive within a day, but no bagging. How much? I said $75.00 first time and we'd see, after that.
She said the two man crew was doing it for $25.00 and it took them an hour. How can anyone send out a crew for that kind of money? I figured it for about two hours. If less, I would have lowered the price, but still no bagging. I did not get the job. Lucky me, I think.
I think you know the answer to this one: The crew wasn't doing it for $25.

I picked up a client who quotes this type of pricing on everything she's had done in the past. I do a lot of work for her, but, stick to my guns, as she uses her elderly-ness to try and make me feel guilty and charge less. For her to do this to me is insulting. My time and equipment are worth something.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastbama View Post
I like this guy^ I can't stand the jerks that think they own the town... I like my small overhead. That way the customer & I both feel good afterwards . Jerks think I'm going broke I didn't support my wife through med school for nothing

We have a jerk like that, here. He doesn't wave at or talk to any of the other lawn guys. I was talking to the most senior LCO we have (36yrs in business), the other night. He was like "I'm going to give you a list of every customer that dude has. I want you to bid every one of his properties, for next year.". I had to laugh.

Heck, I wave at anyone with a mower in tow.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I think you know the answer to this one: The crew wasn't doing it for $25.

I picked up a client who quotes this type of pricing on everything she's had done in the past. I do a lot of work for her, but, stick to my guns, as she uses her elderly-ness to try and make me feel guilty and charge less. For her to do this to me is insulting. My time and equipment are worth something.
She and her husband run a big Auto Repair place in town. I asked her if she thought they could really operate at $25. Then she said she'd be willing to pay more, if I could bag it. I still walked away. Funny, too. Since then I have picked up a 46" rider with a bagger. It works well. I'm NOT going to call her, though. I'm going to try it out on leaves this Fall.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

My cousin started with 2 push mowers in the back of an old ford ranger back in the 80's, now he is one of the largest in our area with the exception of brickman.

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..