Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Remember, any leaves that come down now, and are disposed, are not leaves that will come later when they fall fast and furious. Once down, never to show again!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys do well with leaf removal?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
Do you guys do well with leaf removal?
Yeah between cutting and leaf clean up, it's busier for me than the spring rush. Probably my highest grossing months as well.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Random safety inspections for trucks/ trailers are happening near the Allegheny and butler county border. I was spoken to twice on Friday by officers. Two straps on every mower or its a $300 fine per machine. The one officer came up to me while I was at a yard and told me I would be pulled over even though nothing was wrong on my trailer. Everything in the bed of your truck needs strapped as well. I watched two guys get nailed just for the load in their bed.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Haven't had any issues with DOT up this way. Been keeping steady and gearing up for leaf cleanup!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetlc View Post
Random safety inspections for trucks/ trailers are happening near the Allegheny and butler county border. I was spoken to twice on Friday by officers. Two straps on every mower or its a $300 fine per machine. The one officer came up to me while I was at a yard and told me I would be pulled over even though nothing was wrong on my trailer. Everything in the bed of your truck needs strapped as well. I watched two guys get nailed just for the load in their bed.
Well on the bright side, at least we live in a area where we worry about over-zealous safety nazis instead of gang violence and drive-by shootings.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 08-24-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Well on the bright side, at least we live in a area where we worry about over-zealous safety nazis instead of gang violence and drive-by shootings.
Speak for yourself - I live in Penn Hills.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How far do you guys travel for work? I mean if you live in an area that is "low-income" you can't really build a business with "less than desirable" clients.

Just curious if you guys work in one, two, maybe three counties? How many different towns? How far do you travel for "good" work?
Old 08-25-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
How far do you guys travel for work? I mean if you live in an area that is "low-income" you can't really build a business with "less than desirable" clients.

Just curious if you guys work in one, two, maybe three counties? How many different towns? How far do you travel for "good" work?
Counties? Holy crap. Not as a solo operator!

I don't go more than 10 miles one way. I have two in Monroeville that are my furthest. I thought I'd end up with more out that way, but it hasn't worked out that way, so I'm actually considering dropping them as they are both biweekly an not really worth going so far for.
I dunno where I'd need to go to use a ZTR because you can't use one around here for the most part. Monroeville, or Plum I suppose.

I had thought I'd "grow" and buy a ZTR in order to take on larger properties, but I'm not sure that's the best path for me to take as a solo operator. I have been getting pretty good paying jobs in the city that are easy for one guy to do in 20 minutes that pay the same as jobs in the suburbs that take me 40 minutes to do. (with either a 21" or 36")

Yeah, living in an area that doesn't pay well leaves you with two choices - work harder (lots of low-paying jobs), or drive to an area that pays more.
Fortunately, that drive isn't more than a few miles for me - but it's all "push mower" work in that direction.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

I do work in 4 counties and I travel up to 35 miles one way on my grass route. I also make out really well on the properties do it works out for me, there's tons of money to be had out there.

Tags
n'at!