Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Need advice on how to protect new seedlings from upcoming scorcher.

I'm REALLY PO'd at our weatherman!! Early last week he excitedly predicted mild weather, 65-80 degree days, partly cloudy with occasional showers midweek for the remainder of Aug and into Sept. I made the collosal mistake of actually believing him and re-seeded my front yard (10k sq ft) last saturday with a somewhat costly Falcon TTTF blend.

Forecasts now show highs in upper 90's for the next 2 weeks. With my seedlings down and just starting to pop though, i need recommendations on how to keep the sprouts from getting completely scorched. I have two 2-zone hose timers that I have set for 15 minutes every 4 hours (the most frequent setting) during daylight hours. Will this be enough to keep the ground cool/moist? Any other tips? (I can't afford 10,000 sq ft of shade cloth.)
Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"I'm REALLY PO'd at our weatherman!!"

You act so surprised. lol They are never spot on. Only job you can have and do a terrible job at and no one questions it. lol
Old 08-23-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Boy your not kidding! Thing is -- OK, they can be off 3-5 degrees at times and I won't complain. It's weather after all. chit happens.

But an almost 12 degree variance??? That's criminal!

With over $2 trillion in weather satalites flying around, you'd think they could do a little better. This guy must have been getting his forecast from the farmers almanac. The worst part: My wife now has "I told ya so" rights, and isn't afraid to use em.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's not criminal, that's totally normal. All those satellite's have made for better radar, that's it. I never believe the long range forecast, ever. The weather will never cooperate, and now you realize that.

Keep the soil moist, not wet, but don't let it dry out. Hold off on the fertilizer till the second week of Sept. Put a 2 inch layer of straw over the seedling's, that will keep thing's from drying out. You will be fine, don't let it get to you. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Doubt the grass will survive the upper 90s. Id plan on buying more seed.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go for a good soaking around noon then again around 3 pm... Will your soil drain or puddle???
Old 08-24-2013, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I'd go for a good soaking around noon then again around 3 pm... Will your soil drain or puddle???
I agree mabey even more
Old 08-26-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the encouragement - I guess that's the best I can do.

By closely watching the sun and heat over the weekend, I "think" I got the watering system rezoned to accommodate. Whole lawn gets TWO deep 20 minute soakings early AM. (5am and 7am). Then between 11am and 1 am, each zone gets one 15 minute period "cool down" the soil and keep the top 1/2 from drying out. This cycle repeats at 3pm when the sun/heat seams to be at the worst.

The soil doesn't puddle anymore. Over the summer I worked tirelessly on getting it deeply aerated to 6" and then topdressed with gypsm, lime, and compost filling the aeration holes the best I can. I have silt covered plastic soil/hardpan clay and have been at this fight for 10+ yrs now. It absorbs MUCH better now as long as the watering is done in two intervals an hour apart and not all-at-once.

I will be one very happy camper if I can keep it from burning off over the next 10 days. Here's to hoping for the best. On a positive note, the stuff in part shade is growing great! 2" already. Full sun areas is only about 3/4".