Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Andrew, how is the 5k treating you? I got a job running a dump site for 5000 loads of engineered fill, so I am looking to purchase a blade soon. I don't want to get something to big and then not be able to use it as often as I would like on other jobs once this is completed. Something like a 5k size would be ideal for some other jobs I have but I'm wondering about the pushing power for knocking over the engineered fill
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you use the CTL to help move some of the dirt.Kind of hard to carring dirt that far with the a dozer especailly a 6 way blade,plus the dirt looked more like sand.I can't believe you have a dozer,i thought everything had to be done with an excavator.

Glad your learning there other jobs and ways of doing things other then with an excavator.So did you extend the pipe through the dam or just narrow it there???? Looks like hole in dam slope there.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sean- for the limited amount of work I have been able to do with the 5K so far I love the machine. Super smooth and responsive to the operator's touch. I did a couple bogs with it and had to knock over 20+ yd loads that were being dropped every 5-10 minutes and the machine had no problem knocking the piles over. For me the 5K is the perfect size machine right now for the bog work and commercial work we are going after.

Construct'O- I only used the CTL to push the piles off the asphalt to build the ramp so that I wouldn't destroy the asphalt with the dozer's grousers. I then used the CTL as a clean up machine at the end of the project. The CTL did not bucket any material on this job. The dozer was used to move all of the material (which was sandy fill) in building that dike. It was a 300' push and I learned long ago the power of slot dozing to move material.

The flumes were ordered for me before the project began. I installed the flume before I started backfilling over it. Since the pipe was not long enough to go through the double wide dike, I had to narrow the dike by the flume which is why you see a hole in the dike. The original plan for the dike was to have it only be 10' wide at the top, but the owner wanted me to lose this big pile of fill he had onsite in building the dike so we ended up doubling the width of the dike and had to adjust the grading around the flume to accommodate the change in dike design.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nicely done ARP. Glad you were able to put the 5k to work for a while.
THEY JUST QUIT HORSIN AROUND
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hows the Towmaster holding up? After finally sold one of our Cam Superlines we ordered a 7 ton tilt today from the dealer. Should be in in about 8 weeks, they seem like quality units. We decided to go for the galvanizing and see how it works out, with the chemicals in the winter the rust is horrible now.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Andrew any updates? Anything new?
Old 08-24-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So far the Towmaster has been holding up great. I love how much easier it is to move around to get the smaller machines into some sites compared to the gooseneck trailer.

I'm slowly working my way through all the photos I have been taking over the last 12+ months that I haven't put up here. We have union and non-union sides of our business now and have been busy recently with land clearing for highway projects. We've also been having to move our equipment more often so we recently purchased some new vehicles:

2005 Kenworth W900 (heavy-spec, 550hp, 3.91 gearing, 130,000 gvwr) with 2005 Fontaine 55ton lowbed
Name:  IMG_0812.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  75.1 KB

2007 East Hardox Steel Tub Dump Body with High-Lift tailgate
Name:  IMG_0773.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  64.7 KB

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 08-24-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wow congrats. Love those wheels on the tractor, something different
Old 08-24-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very nice truck Andrew! Cummins motor? I see you got your blade for sale, are you looking for something bigger? Got two large bids closing soon, if I get at least one I might have to come down and take a look at it.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
Very nice truck Andrew! Cummins motor? I see you got your blade for sale, are you looking for something bigger? Got two large bids closing soon, if I get at least one I might have to come down and take a look at it.
It has a twin turbo C-15 Cat in it. We are looking at selling the 5 to buy a screening plant but I may have just found a job for the 5 for a year and a half. I should know about the job in the next two weeks- if it doesn't go through I'll let you know.