Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it is spray injury--you should be able to find subtle "tells". It should be worse nearest where you were standing. and less injury on the back side of the tree or anyplace that is difficult to access. Gaps in coverage should be visible.

Bacterial spot usually develops more slowly and the new spots have a water soaked ring around the spot. Bacteria need a previous infection to start from. And the bactieria need warm moist rainy misty weather. Wish I could help more.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
If it is spray injury--you should be able to find subtle "tells". It should be worse nearest where you were standing. and less injury on the back side of the tree or anyplace that is difficult to access. Gaps in coverage should be visible.

Bacterial spot usually develops more slowly and the new spots have a water soaked ring around the spot. Bacteria need a previous infection to start from. And the bactieria need warm moist rainy misty weather. Wish I could help more.
Thanks again Riggle,
Yea, think Bacterial spot fit for one I remember the tree doing this last year now.

But no where as bad this time of year???

I was told to start the copper fungicide when the leaves fall to prevent this so we'll see next year, plus getting rid of this cocktail of Immunox, Malathion, Liquid seven and Captan and finding me some Imidan for next season.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 08-24-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys

Thought I'd come back and update this thread with some findings.

I lost all my peaches this year, all fell off

Started the season off with the same spray schedule, think I posted about it and nothing changed. No apparent reason for the peaches to fall and never did figure it out.

So, Mid July the tree's were beautiful, no leaves falling off and no yellow spots like I posted in the pictures in the last two pages of this thread. What changed?

I'm not spraying the tree's that's what changed.

What I also found out was the captan I was using was too much, well DUHHH!!! Riggle you done mentioned that last year but I was going by what the Horticulturalist at the university of Kentucky was advising me 6.5 Tablespoons to 2 gallon. Even after the peaches fell off this spring I questioned the captan again and he said No, that didn't do it.
Further questioning it yielded the fact 6.5 Tablespoons was too much and I told him he was the one that gave me that info and when I questioned cutting back on it in 2012 I was told no, I'd be at risk of diseases????

Now, 1.6 Tablespoons to a gallon was the correct rate
Too F$%ken late now my peaches has fell off.

Mid July I decided WTF I'm going to test the captan at 1.5 Tablespoons per gallon and see if the leaves turn yellow:

Quote:
July 31
• With beautiful foliage on the peach trees and no signs of leaves falling off nor yellow spots originally thought to be bacteria spots. As a test before next season sprayed Malathion & Captan both separately at recommended rated each in separate locations on the peach trees to see if either would cause damage. Captan @ 1.5 Tbspoons to gallon on far right tree and Malathion 1 oz. to gallon on the tree in the middle.
 As of August 19 no leaves falling from either tree, no damage or yellowing and falling off of leaves and so no injury present. Think next year can start out with this rate of captan and be considered safe; 1.5 Tablespoons per gallon.
So why didn't the peaches fall off last spring?
I didn't start out using the captan right after the blooms fell that's why:
Must have given the peaches just enough time to mature enough to withstand that dose.

Quote:
 April 3, 2012
• With some beautiful dime size peaches and ¼ inch diameter cherries sprayed for fungus and insects with Spectracide Immunox for fungus 1 oz./gal & Spectracide Malathion for insects 1 oz./gal. mixed both together and sprayed at once. Used 3 gallon this time but add another gallon next time to include apple tree which is still blooming.

 April 17, 2012
• Repeat application of Immunox and Malathion. Used 3 gallon which covered everything including grape vine.
 April 18, 2012
• Was told to include Captan 50W in the mix so sprayed separately, used 3 tablespoons for 4 gallon. Was told ½ tablespoon per gallon so improvised to be safe. Next spraying, include with Immunox and Malathion.

 April 24, 2012
• Due to what looks like plum curculio damage sprayed Seven concentrate at a rate of 3 oz per gallon to control damage. Next spraying, include with Immunox and Malathion and Captan. Used 3 gallon which covered peach and apple trees.

May 1, 2012
• Repeat application of Immunox and Malathion along with seven at a rate of 3 oz per gallon and Captan at 6.5 Tablespoons per 2 gallon mixed all together and spayed at once.
Note: Shortly after applying captan at this rate had leaves starting to turn brown and fall. Could be coincidence but was told this was bacteria spots but also hear possible Captan injury?? Next application cut captan back to 4 tablespoons/2 gallon.

May 15, 2012
• Repeat application of Immunox and Malathion along with seven and Captan. On advice of John stayed with the 6.5 tablespoons of captan per 2 gallon. Only used two gallon as skipped spraying the cherry tree’s and grape vines. Only a few apples to spray and 3 peach tree’s.
Notes: I would keep your Captan rate at 6.5 tablespoons per 2 gallons. If you get the rate too low you won’t get the control. Captan is a fungicide and will have not have any impact on bacterial diseases. John
So next year, 1.5 Tablespoons captan / gallon

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 08-25-2013, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You never apply Captan with emulsifiable concentrate insecticides. That just begs for leaf burn. 1 oz per gallon of Malathion is way too much. Try more like 1/3 oz. 6 tablespoons of Captan is 3 lb per hundred gallons. That is fine if your are spraying with an air blast or mist blower type sprayer where the concentration of chemical can be 4 x what it is through a spray to wet application. Assume that a hand sprayer is applying the equivalent of 400 gallons per acre.

What is used on fruit trees is very much like the cocktails that used to be needed for spraying roses. Apply that much Captan or Malathion at one time and the effect would be worse than any disease or pest.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-25-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
You never apply Captan with emulsifiable concentrate insecticides. That just begs for leaf burn. 1 oz per gallon of Malathion is way too much. Try more like 1/3 oz. 6 tablespoons of Captan is 3 lb per hundred gallons. That is fine if your are spraying with an air blast or mist blower type sprayer where the concentration of chemical can be 4 x what it is through a spray to wet application. Assume that a hand sprayer is applying the equivalent of 400 gallons per acre.

What is used on fruit trees is very much like the cocktails that used to be needed for spraying roses. Apply that much Captan or Malathion at one time and the effect would be worse than any disease or pest.
Thanks Greendoc,
Question though, the Malathion, that's label rate 1 oz/ gal???

But I did have my suspicions which is why it and the captan was sprayed separately just to see end of July. No damage, see notes.

Then God created Women
Old 08-25-2013, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

1 oz per gallon Malathion is way over label rate. 1/3 oz or 2 teaspoons and never with Captan.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
1 oz per gallon Malathion is way over label rate. 1/3 oz or 2 teaspoons and never with Captan.
Greendoc
Maybe were looking at different labels?

I'm using Spectracide Malathion
Quote:
To control aphids, mix 1½ to 2 tsp per gallon of water.
2 tablespoons would be 1.041 oz. so 1 oz. to gal right?

And here's the spray program he recommended (Scroll down to Page 14. See Remaining covers: Continue spraying at 10- to 14-day intervals.

I'm open to all suggestions I don't want to lose next years crop. But that's the label and the Spray schedules I followed. Some of which he worked with me on changing like Permethrin we substituted Liquid seven (I believe). All mixed in together, sprayed at same time; Captan, Immunox, Seven & Malathion.

Then God created Women
Old 08-25-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Keep in mind, I don't think I'm going to add the captan for the first two spray applications, maybe 3.

Kind of like I did in 2012 but not because I withheld it, see notes above I just didn't know, I was still working with the contact learning what to use and when.

Somehow, I think holding back that captan saved me from a loss in 2012.

Then God created Women
Old 08-25-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looking at the same label. Malathion 50% EC has been around from before I was born. 1 oz per gallon is more like the dose for dormant trees for scale control. 2 teaspoons per gallon is for control of aphids and mites on plants in leaf.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Looking at the same label. Malathion 50% EC has been around from before I was born. 1 oz per gallon is more like the dose for dormant trees for scale control. 2 teaspoons per gallon is for control of aphids and mites on plants in leaf.
Ok so do I even need the Malathion?
I'm applying dormant spray in middle of winter here:
Quote:
 February 7.
• Sprayed Bonide All Seasons Horticultural & Dormant Spray Oil (at the recommended 2.5 oz. per gallon) & Fixed copper (1 oz. per Gallon) on all the peach, apple, cherry tree’s & grape vines with good coverage. Used 6 gallon
As you can tell, I take and keep good records/ Notes
EVERY YEAR

Then God created Women