Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I would go with a softwash setup for residential.

Pressure washers have their place.
That's why there's a pressure regulator on the pump. You don't have to blast everything at max psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowlifebaby View Post
I'm working on when doing some hardscapes washing do the tricks or not?
No.

Quote:
I've heard the pump on the premium one is not that good for commercial use.
IDK, haven't had any problems. It is a triplex, so there shouldn't be any issues. The pump is rebuildable, though. And, JD pressure washers are made by Mi-T-M, which are some of the best in the business.

Quote:
What's the height of the one you own?
Not exactly sure as it's being stored elsewhere, but, no more than ~2ft.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like I said there's a time and place. I don't even take a pressure washer with me on residential jobs
Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That's why there's a pressure regulator on the pump. You don't have to blast everything at max psi.

No.

IDK, haven't had any problems. It is a triplex, so there shouldn't be any issues. The pump is rebuildable, though. And, JD pressure washers are made by Mi-T-M, which are some of the best in the business.

Not exactly sure as it's being stored elsewhere, but, no more than ~2ft.
Thank you for all your quick answers. The 2ft height of the cart is something I can deal with no problem. The only problem is I'd be probably using the machine AT LEAST, the bare minimum, 10h a week. So the premium series might be a problem.

Do you do softwash using chemicals or you just use pressure to wash? Because it seems like low pressure is the key when the chemicals do the work. As of pressure only, I guess you are right, 1500 psi isn't strong enough for bricks, concrete, hardscapes.

It seems like there's two differents way to look at things. I'm not quite sure what direction to take. but hardscapes would be a huge part of my business, just as well as washing house, roofs, gutters, fences, decks, patios. Like I said, just as right now, we have a data base of 1000 residential homes, just for starting. And I will go big doing advertising. Premium series wont cut it. If I go for pressure only, I would need the 2700 psi commercial one I guess. But low pressure with chemicals looks to be the new trend in the industry.

I need to do more research. I will be starting this next year.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You want 3500 psi 4gpm for a pressure washer.hot water. I only use a pressure washer for commercial flat work. Everything else is done none pressure. I can do an entire house in less than 2 hours
Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
You want 3500 psi 4gpm for a pressure washer.hot water. I only use a pressure washer for commercial flat work. Everything else is done none pressure. I can do an entire house in less than 2 hours
I wrote to you on your lawnsite profile page if you don't mind checking it out.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The 2ft height of the cart is something I can deal with no problem. The only problem is I'd be probably using the machine AT LEAST, the bare minimum, 10h a week. So the premium series might be a problem.
As I mentioned, you really need to go to the dealer and see what the differences are. It appears the only difference between the 3000psi models is that the commercial version has a bigger engine. The pumps look to be the same. It's a shame that JD's site doesn't better list the specifications, so one would know for sure.

Quote:
Do you do softwash using chemicals or you just use pressure to wash? Because it seems like low pressure is the key when the chemicals do the work. As of pressure only, I guess you are right, 1500 psi isn't strong enough for bricks, concrete, hardscapes.
We try and use Mold Armor house wash (spotty availability, around here). It's been the best at removing staining on gutters. If it can get that off, it'll clean whatever is on the siding.

As mentioned, get the full set of spray tips. You get four different spray pattern tips (0, 15, 25, 40 degree patterns), so you can use the one that best fits the job. On siding, you can dial back the pump pressure and use a fan tip to keep from damaging anything. The fifth tip is a soaping tip. When you drop the pickup tube into your cleaner of choice, it'll automatically dilute it down as it comes through the pump. This particular tip produces a low-pressure, soapy output. It works brilliantly. When you're done applying the cleaner, just put your high-pressure tip back on and blast off the soap and grime, without touching the pressure regulator. There's no need to pull the pickup tube, as it'll only siphon with the soaping tip. Again, you want a "power tip", too. I've had good results with the Turbo Tip.

No. 1500psi isn't enough to do anything with. I've done several jobs for contractors. For them, they're usually doing paint or coating work. They want the surface free of all loose material, residue, and grime. High-pressure and the power tip work great for this. 1500psi will be a joke, as it's not enough to get crap off the surface. As before, I use Mold Armor on these jobs.

Quote:
I need to do more research. I will be starting this next year.
You've got plenty of time to think about it. Also, think about how you're going to market this. Lastly, make sure your employer is onboard with your plans, as it sounds like you're going to be using their customer base as a spring board for your own business.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-26-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

thank you so much for you two guys, you've been great help so far. I'm sure I'll need you guys in the futur!
Old 08-26-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Send me an email I'll help you.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Writting to you right now! thank you so much! I appreciate it so much. I'm so excited about going in business for myself and not work for the man. People on Lawnsite inspired me so much. You guys are great models for a young 26 years old man like me.

Thank you from Canada.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Writting to you right now! thank you so much! I appreciate it so much. I'm so excited about going in business for myself and not work for the man. People on Lawnsite inspired me so much. You guys are great models for a young 26 years old man like me.

Thank you from Canada.
I'm younger than you lol. you get out of it what you put into it