Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2000, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I feel like MOWMAN asking all these questions about my primary mower. I was just about ready to get a Toro 44 belt until I looked at the Hustler Shortcut at the Toro dealer. This thing looks like it could go anywhere a walkbehind could go, even faster. The uppercut deck has a rear discharge and bagger option. You can stand or sit and it has cycle grips. The price is prety good also. My set up if I bought this would be a 21 for trimming and really small yards and this 48 Shortcut for everything else. (all 1/3 - 1/2 acre residentials). How about this combo. <br>
Old 06-29-2000, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How do you make money push mowing? I cannot stand pushing a mower, so If my mower will not fit; I don't take it. Those Hustlers look pretty sturdy. I would definately get a Hustler before a walk-behind because of speed and because of its rider efficiency. If there the same price, I would seriously consider the Hustler.<p>Just my opinion<br>Rick<br>LawnWorks
Old 06-29-2000, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

i test drove a hustler at a dealer on tuesday, here are my impressions.<br>+ best bagging on a walkbehind type mower i have seen, they say it holds as much as a walker, and it is so compact<br>+ only stand on mower i have seen with a floating deck<br>+ only stand on mower with option of sitting easily<br>+seems fast<br>+one hand steering probably possible<p>- i didn't have much experience, but the controls sometimes didn't make sense, it seemed like they were idiot proofing independant hydro drive. in the process they made it more complicated. it was very dificult to get the wheels to counter rotate, and when they did, it wasn't very much of a difference in speed. it is also dificult to go from forward to reverse quickly.
Old 06-29-2000, 05:44 PM
Sponsor

Sounds like you were testing an early version of the ShortCut. The new ones are very simple to run -- twist forward to go forward, twist back to go into reverse. That annaying slide feature is now gone. It is the same as their walk-behind.
Old 06-29-2000, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the shortcut was built with the slide reverse from 97 till last spring/summer<br>the new units are just like the walk behind, as you twist it backwards it goes to neutral then to reverse, as stated just like the walk behind.<br>one thing to note: the stand up feature on the shortcut has been discontinued do to legal reasons. most dealers that have the older units with foot switches are to disconnect them before delivery.<br>as stated by hustler: any shortcut sold after may 15, 2000 must have the foot switches disconnected.<br>maybe your dealer will &quot;forget&quot; to unhook em.......
Old 06-30-2000, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

so, with the new hustlers or dealer modified ones, you can stand up? on the unit i tested, i could standup. how does that linkage system hold up, does it get sloppy with use?<br>how does the tracking adjustment work? <br>is there a way to make the wheels rotate in opposite directions at greater speeds?<br>
Old 06-30-2000, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the new ones and any delivered from a dealer are to be modified to the sit down only configuration.<br>neutral adjustment is a very siple procedure, should take no more than a minute or two.<br>and you can adjust the wheel speed, there is three different settings
Old 06-30-2000, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

how does it prevent you from standing up?
Old 06-30-2000, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the foot switches are disconnected, when the modifications are done.<br>that means when you get off the seat(switch in the seat) the unit cuts out the ignition.<br>thus the unit will die.
Old 06-30-2000, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I have their new walk-behind, and LOVE the steering. I like my Grasshopper too, but a Shortcut may be next on my wish list.