Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another happy ending I have been following this but, as a Yankee, have had nothing useful to add. You lucked out '09! A couple of guys kept you from putting time and money into something that would not work in your area. It's great that you found that sod will fit your budget and that you already have irrigation to keep it alive.

Please post an "after" picture when you get it finished.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Another happy ending I have been following this but, as a Yankee, have had nothing useful to add. You lucked out '09! A couple of guys kept you from putting time and money into something that would not work in your area. It's great that you found that sod will fit your budget and that you already have irrigation to keep it alive.

Please post an "after" picture when you get it finished.

I will definitely keep you guys updated. I very much appreciate everyone on this website and all the expertise and advice people give. There's many knowledgable people here that can teach and help others learn whether your another professional or just a homeowner wanting a nice lawn like me.

I was lucky enough that my parents passed down the rental property to me and my girlfriend kind of as a graduation gift. Now were both getting ready to start school full time. I'll be going to two different colleges, working towards to separate degrees, in one semester. So unfortunately work is out of the question until I finish school. However, I work online and save up what I can. And was extremely happy see the prices on sod after looking around. I was expecting much more.

However, if it wasn't for the forum I would still be looking at seeding the entire lawn, would have paid more in the end, and still wouldn't have had the results that I want. I know growing grass under tree's makes it harder, however I knew nothing about the fence blocking the airflow, thus making it even harder to grow.

Again, I appreciate all the knowledgeable and helpful people here! Hope you guys have a great ending to the weekend and an even better week! I'll post pictures during the process. It's going to take me a little longer to do one being my first lawn and being that I'm doing everything by hand myself. Our front lawn is approximately 35x45 and the back quite a bit smaller. Girlfriend seems much happier about the idea of sod and it makes much more sense for our circumstances.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's great new's. When your talking about shade tolerant warm season grass i would go with zoysia every time. It look's much better than St. Aug. and is so slow growing that it keep's mowing to a minimum. It still need's water but not nearly as much as other types of grass. Whatever you go with let us know and we will get on the right track for laying the sod and maintaining the grass afterward's. A pallet of sod is 504 sq. ft. around here so you would need 3 1/2 pallet's.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
That's great new's. When your talking about shade tolerant warm season grass i would go with zoysia every time. It look's much better than St. Aug. and is so slow growing that it keep's mowing to a minimum. It still need's water but not nearly as much as other types of grass. Whatever you go with let us know and we will get on the right track for laying the sod and maintaining the grass afterward's. A pallet of sod is 504 sq. ft. around here so you would need 3 1/2 pallet's.
Thank you so much for that piece of information. I have a quick question for you. Is there a quality difference between companies? Unfortunately, everything is closed today when I have the most free time to get some quotes. However, most of the pallets I've found seem to be 450 sq. feet. The St. Augustine is running around $115.-$135. per pallet. The zoysia seems to be upward of about 185. per pallet. Does that seem right to you? I was just speaking with my father and he was definitely saying the same thing. For our texas heat, he said the St. Augustine might make a notable difference in the water bill. So I think we decided to go ahead and step up and get the zoysia, so I defiantly appreciate that advice. And one more quick question. He said something about staggering the sod. Should I stagger like a checker board or cover the full turf?
Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know anything about company's that sell sod in Austin, i think the main thing would be... 1 - When was the sod cut, when you are talking about zoysia, you want that sod as fresh as possible. Can they cut and deliver on the same day? I would insist on that. If a pallet sit's out even one night it can dry out and be a lot more problematic. Again, you want the freshest sod possible.

2 - Price, the price's you quoted seem high but i know that's for less than a truckload and include's delivery, so i really don't know if that's good price or not. You might want to try and deal directly with a sod farm if that's possible. Maybe someone closer to you can give better advice than i can on that.

Staggering the sod just mean's the way you lay it. You alway's want to stagger the seam's. Just like brickwork or, like you said, a checkerboard. Get a sharpened flat edged garden spade to cut piece's of sod so you have a straight finished edge. Use sand to cover any exposed edge's to help keep the sod from drying out and in the seam's for quicker healing. Remember, zoysia is tender when it's on the pallet. Get it on the ground and water it as soon as possible, and i don't mean a little water either, any sod need's to be soaked for the first few week's.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me add to that statement about pallet's of sod. Don't be afraid to reject sod if your not happy with it, at all. The people who sell it are used to that. Check it out before they even unload it. And don't just look at the top layer, dig down a few layer's to get a idea of what's going on. Once you accept it it's much harder to prove negligence on their part.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Let me add to that statement about pallet's of sod. Don't be afraid to reject sod if your not happy with it, at all. The people who sell it are used to that. Check it out before they even unload it. And don't just look at the top layer, dig down a few layer's to get a idea of what's going on. Once you accept it it's much harder to prove negligence on their part.
Agrostis,

I apologize for all the questions, I should be paying you for your knowledge.

I obviously know not to purchase something that doesn't obviously look healthy and fresh. But is there any particular signs, coloring, or any other special tall tell signs that I should be looking for when looking through them?
Thank you once again!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You just don't want any sod that is dried out. Everything should be green, no brown. All the sod piece's should be fairly heavy with water weight. Like i said, make the delivery guy/driver be specific about when the sod was cut. Zoysia won't recover well if it dry's out, if you can control this then you will be ahead of the game. You would be surprised at the crappy grass i have seen sod company's try to pass off. Just about every other type of grass can recover from being cut and dried out but not zoysia, so just be aware of that.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you! I'll be sure inspect it thoroughly top to bottom and be very specific and questioning of the driver. As far as laying it I watched several videos and understand to stagger it like laying bricks. However, I was told to save sod you can checkerboard the lawn leaving leaving pretty much empty patches of soil every other sod square staggered and that it would grow in or spread? Is this true or will it affect the quality of the lawn?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersandWildcats2009 View Post
Thank you! I'll be sure inspect it thoroughly top to bottom and be very specific and questioning of the driver. As far as laying it I watched several videos and understand to stagger it like laying bricks. However, I was told to save sod you can checkerboard the lawn leaving leaving pretty much empty patches of soil every other sod square staggered and that it would grow in or spread? Is this true or will it affect the quality of the lawn?
Don't do this. It will be like mowing railroad tracks, (the part between the rails) rough and you will be scalping the crap out of it due to uneveness. I mow lawns where just small gaps were left due to poor workmanship and I can feel everyone on my mower.