Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington123 View Post
i am going to buy the scag turf tiger with the cat diesel for $14 grand.
good choice!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice choice. You won't be disappointed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2012, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Can I ask why your going diesel vs gas. I'm buying new and kicking it around. The off road diesel fuel would be a little more of a hassle and maybe more expensive then mid grade non-ethanol. You'd probably have more torque but heavier mower. It may last longer, but people are getting 3000-4000 out of a gas and in my mind the rest of the mower is due to be retired by then. Plus I understand, diesels have more maintenance needed compared to gas. Have you ever seen any specs. on gpm fuel comparison? Just interested.
Everything I've seen is that a diesel vs. a large gas (26hp or above) is that diesel usage is about half per hr. It's usually about a gallon an hr for diesel and 2 gallons an hr for gas. YMMV
Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with OmegaRed, we have 2 John deere 997's and three walker diesel's. After overcoming the fact that they are liquid cooled and need a radiator to maintain, they consume about half of the fuel. This is true under any type of load condition. After switching our Walkers over to diesel we have seen an increase in production and less fuel consumption/downtime. I have made the suggestion that the rest of our gas fleet be phased out and replaced by diesel mowers in the future. Larger cost up front but lower operating cost over the life of the mower.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You'd definitely need to know your going to love the mower and commit to keeping it probably a minimum of 1500-2000 hrs to make up the difference of the upfront cost. If a guy was switching out mowers every 2000 hrs I'm guessing it wouldn't pay to go diesel.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

With our mowers one man operates one mower. That mower is his so if anything is wrong or doesn't feel right he will know right off. Our guys love the diesels and they said after running them there is no comparison. With that said it is true you have to commit to that mower for a longer time frame because of the additional cost. We have about a four year turn around with our Walkers which comes out to 2,000 to 2,250 hours.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag vs Bad Boy

My Scag is laying "dead in the water" after spending 2 years in the shop almost every week.

I bought a Bad Boy 60" yesterday, and let me tell you... that is a Mowin' Jesse!!! WOW! Amazing!

No tire marks, no overlap required, SUPER FAST, gas gauge for fuel. I mowed our 2 front yards in 20 minutes (used to take 1-1/2 hours for both on the Scag).

I am REALLY IMPRESSED with the Bad Boy!

Old 08-26-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisavinoles@cableone.net View Post
My Scag is laying "dead in the water" after spending 2 years in the shop almost every week.

I bought a Bad Boy 60" yesterday, and let me tell you... that is a Mowin' Jesse!!! WOW! Amazing!

No tire marks, no overlap required, SUPER FAST, gas gauge for fuel. I mowed our 2 front yards in 20 minutes (used to take 1-1/2 hours for both on the Scag).

I am REALLY IMPRESSED with the Bad Boy!

Wow, that's five times faster. When did they start putting V8s in the Bad Boys.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag vs Bad Boy

Apparently, very recently. The speed and mow deck are AMAZING!!! And I forgot to mention this earlier, but my 60" BAD BOY was half the price of my 48" Scag. I am SO impressed...
Old 08-26-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag vs Bad Boy

Well, well, well... Guess what? I posted two posts to this thread this morning, and I just got a PERSONAL PHONE CALL from someone at Scag wanting to argue with me. Imagine that!

I still stand behind my posts about the superior quality of the Bad Boy vs. the quality of the Scag.

I won't buy another Scag.

How do you like that, Mike?
Closed Thread