Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2013, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

tmlgroundscare.com reviews/suggestions

www.tmlgroundscare.com

I did this myself and DO NOT have much of a computer background. My main goal would be to have an easy reference for customer referrals and to direct any possible home owners and neighbors to my site as it is labeled on the side of my truck while parked at jobs. Sort of help legitimize my growing business.

There seems to be so much competition for search engine results I'm not as concerned about that, but it would be nice bonus; however, that was not my main goal for building this site.

I need better quality photos of my truck/set up (every time I try and ad it the nose or part of the bed gets cut off)

Thanks in advance
Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For a first attempt I think you did a great job. I actually like your site better than many that have been done by those with a lot of experience. Graphically I think you did great. I like the look and layout. I like that you listed the towns you service. That will help with the SEO.

As far as what would make it better, maybe some photos on your services page and I think an "About us" page or more info about you would help create a bond with your customers. People buy from people and the more you can get them to relate to you the more effective your site will be.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In the body of your home page where you note photo gallery and services and have them highlighted they should be clickable links to those pages on your site. Tony will be through shortly to give more constructive advice.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
In the body of your home page where you note photo gallery and services and have them highlighted they should be clickable links to those pages on your site. Tony will be through shortly to give more constructive advice.
Thanks, that is my lack of knowledge on computers, I will play with it more to try and do that.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You're in Maine, not Boston, and our industry isn't known for being all about technology. I'd wager that it wouldn't take a lot of work for you to be killing it with local SEO. Why not go for it?

Home page could use some tweaking but overall I like it. This is who I am, this is why you should choose me... well done.

As far as truck/equipment pics, I think one shot of your rig in front of a manicured property is all you need, and probably as a header pic. When I go to a photo gallery I'm looking for pics of your work, not your equipment.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Phil

I agree your site looks great compared to many others, especially if computers are not your thing. Good stuff. Great start.

A few suggestions:

- It's hard to pull off a dark background with lighter text, especially if the text isn't large and a heavier font. It could be worth trying a white or very light grey background with almost black text. Might be a cleaner, more modern look, and easier to read. I like your choice of font.

- I agree that adding an About page, including a photo of you (and maybe your truck) is essential.

- Try to replace your stock photos with high quality images of your actual work. I know these are on your gallery page, but would be great to also see them on your home page.

- There are opportunities to show rather than tell. e.g. "I work with clean equipment while wearing uniformed polo shirts during the summer proudly displaying my company name" is probably better communicated with a photo of you, in your uniform, with your equipment. Say less. Show more.

- I'd ditch the social sharing icons, unless you add a blog later. People might share blog posts but are highly unlikely to share your home page or contact page. If they're on your site but not used, they just become clutter and distracting.

- On your home page and services page, consider rewording so it focuses on what you can do for your customers. e.g. Rather than "I have experience working in the logging industry...", it could be "Clear the mess and safety hazard of your small downed trees..." i.e. Focus on "you" rather than "I". Hope that makes sense.

- If you want people to call you, I'd make your phone number larger and in a dominant colour (compared to the other colours on your page) so it stands out.

- Consider incorporating the photos in your gallery, alongside the relevant services on your Services page. It helps when your photos are in context.

Hope that all makes sense. Yell if you need further explanation.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of Mow Town View Post
Hey Phil

I agree your site looks great compared to many others, especially if computers are not your thing. Good stuff. Great start.

A few suggestions:

- It's hard to pull off a dark background with lighter text, especially if the text isn't large and a heavier font. It could be worth trying a white or very light grey background with almost black text. Might be a cleaner, more modern look, and easier to read. I like your choice of font.

- I agree that adding an About page, including a photo of you (and maybe your truck) is essential.

- Try to replace your stock photos with high quality images of your actual work. I know these are on your gallery page, but would be great to also see them on your home page.

- There are opportunities to show rather than tell. e.g. "I work with clean equipment while wearing uniformed polo shirts during the summer proudly displaying my company name" is probably better communicated with a photo of you, in your uniform, with your equipment. Say less. Show more.

- I'd ditch the social sharing icons, unless you add a blog later. People might share blog posts but are highly unlikely to share your home page or contact page. If they're on your site but not used, they just become clutter and distracting.

- On your home page and services page, consider rewording so it focuses on what you can do for your customers. e.g. Rather than "I have experience working in the logging industry...", it could be "Clear the mess and safety hazard of your small downed trees..." i.e. Focus on "you" rather than "I". Hope that makes sense.

- If you want people to call you, I'd make your phone number larger and in a dominant colour (compared to the other colours on your page) so it stands out.

- Consider incorporating the photos in your gallery, alongside the relevant services on your Services page. It helps when your photos are in context.

Hope that all makes sense. Yell if you need further explanation.
Thanks allot. I completely agree about the background. I had to pick from some basic formats/templates I will see if I can change it. I will get some better photos as well hopefully within the coming weeks to add.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I made a bunch of changes from the suggestions. Now all photos are of actual work for the better or worse. I had no intentions of making it one of the top listed pages on a search but as one mentioned above why not. This part is very confusing to me I paid for the seo feature on godaddy and now I'm even more confused! It was not much so I figured why not. It seems no matter what you type 2 local companies always come up, the rest are either shops or not even close to my area so I'm thinking it should be easy to get in the top 3. Any more constructive opinions appreciated thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks much better.

- On the home page, I'd probably avoid a green font on brown background (service area list). Makes for a difficult read for some of your target audience.

- Photo Gallery page, you're using the Lobster font for content, and it's really small. Looks like it might be an issue with trying to override the web builder's H1 use of Lobster.

Looks like you added image titles for some and then stopped. I'd add in the rest, making some more, useful, content for those. "mowing [town]" is fine for one or two, but I wouldn't do it 20 times. It loses it's meaning and usefulness for your visitor and, potentially, Google.

- If you're going to have a blog page, you should, you know...have a blog.

- I'd work on your Title tags. For example, the Photo Gallery Title doesn't do much for your or search. Localize it and you'll be on the right track.

- Home Page has yellow content that isn't linked, but should be. Rather than direct people to a tab, link to the page.

- If your web builder/host provides email for your domain, take advantage of it, or add it yourself. It's infinitely more professional to have email@your-domain.com than telling people "You can find my site at www.business-site.com, but to email me, you'll want to email business@someplace-else.com".

-Get your contact info on every page, preferably in the same, easy to see spot.