Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-25-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag Bagger

Well I got my 3 bin bagger installed yesterday. kind of a PITA. this thing is very heavy and over-engineered. Might be good or it might not be. I tried it out last evening on my front yard. That's about an acre. Looked good, filled the bags 9 times & had one clog.

Today, I did the back yard. Waited till around lunch time so it was nice and dry. Clog city!!!! I could only ride about 1/2 mph and had to literally stop twice per stripe to clear out the clogs. Way more trouble than it was worth. So I took the hose and blower off and finished cutting. What a freaking mess. There's two new baffles that get installed to funnel the clippings towards the blower. Without the blower, all it did was clump. After I finished cutting I took the mower over to my shop and removed the baffles putting the original ones back in.

I have no intention of bagging grass weekly, I pretty much got this for leaf cleanups. But damn, it takes too long to install and take off and it cuts like hell with the collection baffles installed. so it's like a 45 minute ordeal to install/uninstall. I love Scag's but I think their design team was drunk when they came up with that monstrosity. For 2600 bucks I guess I expected more. It's also so freaking heavy.....did I meantion it's heavy?

I'll post another review this fall during leaf season. Sure hope it performs better on leaves than it did in grass.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

i just bought a wildcat with the three bagger but i had the dealer install it. the blower is heavy not much of a fan of the belt routeing (hard to see if right from seat). also thinking about getting mulching to help with not filling the bags as fast and the only time i have ever clogged mine is when its long wet or just plain heavy grass. Anything short and dry it has no problem even damp and short i just kick the gas up a little. not sure what you were mowing but just putting my 2cents in.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah it handled my front fairly well, but not great. my backyard was thick and tall. the only moisture was from the grass blades itself and that seemed to be enough to gum it all up. I could almost wring water out of the clogs I was clearing. I'm not as mad anymore I guess. I bought this solely for leaves. just wanted to try it out this past weekend.

I used to have a Wildcat btw. I liked it, but I wore it out and replaced it with a TigerCat. Dealer didn't have any Wildcats anymore
Old 08-26-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I have the wildcat (i believe) or tiger cat it has the 48 velocity and 25 Kohler and the blower seemed small IMO but I think its overbuilt. But I figured it could handle weekly mowing well.