Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
For under 8k, you can get a Snapper Pro S200XT with a 61 or 72 inch deck and the 32HP Vanguard Big Block. It should last you many years. The warranty is also pretty good, 4 years or 500 hours right now. They also have 0% financing for 48 months.
Agreed, this is exactly what I found here in Shreveport.

2 X 2 frame rails, heavy iron spindles, ICD deck, ZT5400 beefy transmissions.

If I had purchased new, that was what I was going to buy.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timely View Post
We have about 5 acres of property to mow pretty much weekly, and some additional areas that we hit occasionally. Sometimes the grass gets pretty long, and it's pretty bumpy in areas. I expect we'd run it about 100 hours per year.

We've used a Big Box Toro Timecutter for about 5 years, and it was held together with baling wire by the time it bit the dust. We'd like something more robust to replace it. I don't want to overkill for our needs, but I do want something that is up to doing this much work.

I have been looking at the Kubota Kommander S-series, the Ferris IS600Z and IS700Z, the Exmark Pioneer S-series, and the Exmark Lazer Z E-series. I was also looking at the Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle, but I hired a neighbor guy to cut our grass, and he had one. I asked if I could test drive it, and I found it to be an extremely rough ride. I don't know if there may have been some extenuating circumstance that caused that.

While our Toro struggled with the workload, it rode comfortably and was easy to use. There was no need to lift the deck, just set the height by moving a handle. It did bog down a lot.

As for dealers, the Dixie Chopper guy is like 1/2 mile from my house...which is a huge plus. I'm not looking at Gravely because the dealer is kind of far. The other dealers are close enough to work okay.

What I am wondering is if the level of machines I'm looking at is right for my needs or if some of these ZTR's are more machine than I need?
I have a Kubota Kommander S and although it is a very nice mower for residential use I would probably mark it off your list if you have a very bumpy property. The low profile tires make it a pretty rough ride even with the suspension seat. I am probably going to swap out the rear wheels/tires for something a bit fatter in the near future on mine.

Nationally they seem to be running some really good deals on the Ferris IS2000Z 61" mowers right now and it's the entry level Ferris with the full suspension. It's a little more than the Ferris mowers you listed, but with a rough lot it would be worth taking a look at. For a little more cash the Ferris IS3100Z is even better and that money also gets you into Scag Cheetah territory which has a suspension platform so it rides almost as nice as the Ferris mowers and it is faster.

Good luck.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmershawn View Post
I definitely do not think you are over-doing it, I think you need to step UP a class in mowers. I just bought my very first ZTR last week.

I have 4-acres of lawn, and a couple acres of field that I mow as part of the lawn but it is of course quite a bit rougher.

I also am going to mow my two (2) 10-acre cow pastures several times a year (today for the first time).

I could not afford enough new mower. Ferris IS2000, Snapper Pro 200xt, Kubota Z200/300, Scag Tiger Cat, Bad Boy Outlaw, etc...

As a 49-year old the Ferris IS2000 appealed to me the most with the suspension system. The Snapper Pro 200xt was definitely the most bang-for-the-buck (big motors, ICD deck, iron spindles, ZT5400 trannys).

I started checking Craigslist in the Shreveport area looking for a "big, burly, commercial ZTR" and found a 220 hour, very well maintained, Kubota ZG227 with a 54" deck for $5,500. Used (Tractorhouse) they run $6250 to 8K. At the dealer they run 8-10K. I drove two-hours one way and bought it.

I am very, very pleased with my purchase.

The 4-acres of yard were a breeze, high speed, clean as a whistle. Sweet.

I crept through an acre or so of 5-6' tall (no kidding) pasture weeds yesterday in front of my barn/one of the houses. Jungle-crazy-thick. Then made a couple more passes to get it smooth.

I also blasted about an acre of cow pasture as the sun was fading, no problems at speed when it was smooth enough to do so. Normal knee high pasture weeds and grass (kept relatively short by my herd).

I definitely needed all the ZG227 has to offer in terms of power and robust build-quality (it's a freakin' tank).

IMO, and I am not an expert but recently in your shoes, you need to step UP a level from what you are looking at in terms of machines.

Find a homeowner, low hour, well maintained machine, pay the same money as a brand-new smaller machine, and get a bigger, stronger, unit.

Best of luck to you. Hope this helps.
Farmershawn, about those pasture weeds..... My husband and I go round and round about using the ZTR out in the pasture. (He says no and I say yes!) Granted, we had a Toro Timecutter, which is hardly a field tractor, but still. Are you concerned about tearing up the ZTR doing that? I guess the main issue would be rough ground, more hours, and maybe lots of heat from trying to chomp through that stuff? What about if you hit a tree branch or something like that in those high weeds?

Just wondering if you can give me any talking points to use!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Pulling the trigger on a Bobcat Procat this morning

I have struggled with which ztr to purchase since August 1, when my neighbor who owns a mowing service told me he could no longer handle our home/farm mowing. He also told me that if I was going to mow it myself I better get a commercial grade ztr with a heavy frame, commercial engine and separate pumps and motors.

Demo'd a 2012 Big Dog x-1052 for about 11 hours. It handled like a dream and cut well but the seat and suspension were a little rough on the big fields.

Also demo'd a Bobcat Procat and the ride was a lot more comfortable.

Finally decided on a 2013 Bobcat Pro 52" with the FX801 engine. $8699 plus tax. 5 year 500 hour home owner warranty on the ztr and 3 years on the engine and lifetime on the deck/frame.

It is hard to be accurate as to how much I mow since the tracts are interspersed with woods, but I just walked it again and I think it is about 3-4 acres of lawn and 12 acres of fields and meadows. Hope to plant some of this next year in crops and cut it down to a total of about 7-8 acres a week.

This is a large purchase for me, so wish me luck. I am buying from a dealer who has given me excellent service on my other equipment for many years.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timely View Post
We have about 5 acres of property to mow pretty much weekly, and some additional areas that we hit occasionally. Sometimes the grass gets pretty long, and it's pretty bumpy in areas. I expect we'd run it about 100 hours per year.

We've used a Big Box Toro Timecutter for about 5 years, and it was held together with baling wire by the time it bit the dust. We'd like something more robust to replace it. I don't want to overkill for our needs, but I do want something that is up to doing this much work.

I have been looking at the Kubota Kommander S-series, the Ferris IS600Z and IS700Z, the Exmark Pioneer S-series, and the Exmark Lazer Z E-series. I was also looking at the Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle, but I hired a neighbor guy to cut our grass, and he had one. I asked if I could test drive it, and I found it to be an extremely rough ride. I don't know if there may have been some extenuating circumstance that caused that.

While our Toro struggled with the workload, it rode comfortably and was easy to use. There was no need to lift the deck, just set the height by moving a handle. It did bog down a lot.

As for dealers, the Dixie Chopper guy is like 1/2 mile from my house...which is a huge plus. I'm not looking at Gravely because the dealer is kind of far. The other dealers are close enough to work okay.

What I am wondering is if the level of machines I'm looking at is right for my needs or if some of these ZTR's are more machine than I need?
The Silver Eagle Models are the cheaper line of DC You looking for nice ride you want try a Classic model
Old 08-25-2013, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

have a spending budget? The kubota z100 is a nice mower, it rides rough as heck though.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been mowing my 5 acres with an Exmark Lazer Z for the past 8 years. I am tired of getting beat to death on rough ground. I just put my money down on a new Gravely 460 with the air ride seat and isolated platform to solve this problem. See video: http://youtu.be/x6Wx8rFkME8
Old 08-25-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Look at a bobcat 61" with a 37hp dfi
Engine. You can bushog grass about 40 inches tall and it will not bogdown or lose blade tip speed and you can buy them brand new for about $9300
Old 08-26-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Personally the Ferris IS3100Z would be my choice but at this time I use my John Deere 455 with a 60 inch mower on that size lot.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklift View Post
I have been mowing my 5 acres with an Exmark Lazer Z for the past 8 years. I am tired of getting beat to death on rough ground. I just put my money down on a new Gravely 460 with the air ride seat and isolated platform to solve this problem. See video: http://youtu.be/x6Wx8rFkME8
Nice choice. I have a 452 and its the most comfortable ZTR I have ever used. You wont be disappointed.