Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Please help!! Not sure what to do..

Hello,
Im 15 and This is my first year in the lawn care business. I am already going to offer fall cleanup services this fall and am wondering if I should offer fertilizer. If so What type do I use? How much? Etc. I am located in northern virginia if it helps. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty sure you need an Applicators license to apply fert.
And I'm willing to bet, you are not old enough to legally apply for the lic or put down fert.

Best bet is to contact you local county Ag dept office.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Straight fertilizer is no problem in Wisco,,, it is when you get the 'cide/fert combo from the box stores and start throwing that junk around and timing it the same as Zone 10 and Zone 2 that problems begin...

Find out when NPK w/out 'cides should be applied in your Zone,,, then operate intelligently, rather than imitating the status quo and just be another pretty face in the herd...
Old 08-30-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In VA you will need a license to apply fertilizer and a separate license to apply any kind of pesticide (round-up, crabgrass preventer, weed killer, insecticide, etc)

you may want to watch this page for upcoming recert class - nothing right now. or check the VDACS website

http://vaturf.org/Events.html

i just noticed you were 15. I don't think you can be legal until 18.

Last edited by lilmarvin4064; 08-30-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am sure mowing and fall clean-up will keep you busy. If you are not licensed for fert and herbicides...can't do that. However, you can probably rake and apply seed. Perhaps using a slit seeder. Perhaps using an aeration machine each of which you can rent. Provided you can find some way to transport the equipment. You may be able to plant fall flowers like chrysanthemums. Perhaps you can plant tulips bulbs and other bulbs which must be planted in fall. Daffodils, crocus, hyacinth and lots more types. They should be suited to your climate of course.

Investigate the application of salt and snow removal this winter--I know you live in Virginia--but I am thinking you will be taking your mom's snowblower or lawn tractor all around your neighborhood, IF, and when it snows. Be ready to apply salt, also. Nobody wants to fall after slipping on ice. Businesses are particularly sensitive to being sued if someone slips and falls on their property. They need salt.