Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-25-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

3 accounts, I want

On my street. Folks I do not know very well. Another guy that live down the street (other way) has been doing them for the past season and a half. My neighbor just told told me that the other guy is tired and might stop mowing.

He is part time and a real nice guy. He mows some really good stripes and does a nice job. I am not nearly as good as him.

How should I approach him to ask about getting him to let me them?

They won't pay much, but they are close and pretty easy.

I dont really want to pay anything for them.

I would like to charge the same as he does to make the transition easy -- so hopefully he is charging correctly.

how should I proceed??
Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This sounds like a thread of desperation.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytalbot View Post
On my street. Folks I do not know very well. Another guy that live down the street (other way) has been doing them for the past season and a half. My neighbor just told told me that the other guy is tired and might stop mowing.

He is part time and a real nice guy. He mows some really good stripes and does a nice job. I am not nearly as good as him.

How should I approach him to ask about getting him to let me them?

They won't pay much, but they are close and pretty easy.

I dont really want to pay anything for them.

I would like to charge the same as he does to make the transition easy -- so hopefully he is charging correctly.

how should I proceed??

How old are you
Old 08-25-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I guess you are right. It does sound desperate. Sorry about that. I just dont want to spook him. I could hardly get to sleep last night thinking about it.

Having lawns sooooo close is what is making me desperate. And one of the women he is cutting for is older and has been a member at the neighborhood church since before it got so big and I really want to mow that church.
I've been salivating over it for two years. The company that has been mowing it looks like convicts, but they keep getting it and next year I want to make my best effort to get it, and still get 500-550 a week for it. Without having to lowball. So I want to get my way in the door any way I can. That sweet old lady might be my key to the kingdom of heaven and mowing all that green, green church grass. (She could at least be a good reference for next year.)

I just turned fifty by the way. And I am new to lawncare. I dont know much.

I guess I should just act my age and go talk to him (part timer) and see if he needs any help, a week off from mowing those three or whatever.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"I guess I should just act my age and go talk to him (part timer) and see if he needs any help, a week off from mowing those three or whatever. "

Best advise anyone could give.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytalbot View Post
Well I guess you are right. It does sound desperate. Sorry about that. I just dont want to spook him. I could hardly get to sleep last night thinking about it.

Having lawns sooooo close is what is making me desperate. And one of the women he is cutting for is older and has been a member at the neighborhood church since before it got so big and I really want to mow that church.
I've been salivating over it for two years. The company that has been mowing it looks like convicts, but they keep getting it and next year I want to make my best effort to get it, and still get 500-550 a week for it. Without having to lowball. So I want to get my way in the door any way I can. That sweet old lady might be my key to the kingdom of heaven and mowing all that green, green church grass. (She could at least be a good reference for next year.)

I just turned fifty by the way. And I am new to lawncare. I dont know much.

I guess I should just act my age and go talk to him (part timer) and see if he needs any help, a week off from mowing those three or whatever.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you could hardly sleep last night over 3 lawns?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you know the church is charge $500-$550 per week?
How many hours will it take you to mow the property?
If your equipment isn't doing a nice job then why should they hire you?
Why should they hire you instead of the other dozens of companies who drive by there every day?

Plan on upgrading your equipment and not making profit for a year is what it sounds like. Like your going to get yourself in over your head. This is coming from a 21 year old who has been referred to clients since he was 13 because of how nicely I put the stripes in the lawn. It all comes down to quality, don't be the low-baller.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 08-27-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought this was going to be a 14 year old kid...
Old 08-27-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I would just go talk to the guy. Introduce your self and try to feel him out, and let him know that you will be willing to take over those accounts when he decides to quit. I have 3 other guys in my neighborhood that cut grass, and I have met all them. Most guys in this business are pretty cool, and are willing to help people out if they can.