Register free!

Old 08-26-2013, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you do. Sevin has no effect on aphids or mites and you are using Sevin, which normally causes those pests to explode.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Kirk1701. First, those garden pictures look great. Congratulations!

Small point above that seems to have been glossed over in post #47:
You quote Greensoctor telling you to use 1 1/2-2 teaspoons of Malathion, the you came back with 2 TABLESPOONS would be...1 oz per gallon.

1 TBS = 3 tsp. Maybe this is part of the misunderstanding. I did not click on the label or the spray program document.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Hi Kirk1701. First, those garden pictures look great. Congratulations!

Small point above that seems to have been glossed over in post #47:
You quote Greensoctor telling you to use 1 1/2-2 teaspoons of Malathion, the you came back with 2 TABLESPOONS would be...1 oz per gallon.

1 TBS = 3 tsp. Maybe this is part of the misunderstanding. I did not click on the label or the spray program document.
Good catch foreplease

Which now puts it at .3469 ounces to gallon so for a 4 gallon backpack I can round that off to 1.5 ounces

Second thing I just noticed in the PDF
Quote:
Peaches: Make up to 3 applications per year – at least 11 days apart. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.
3 APPLICATIONS!!!!
Hell I'm spraying every 2 weeks

See post 43 that's why I tested the Malathion on one tree end of July and the captan on another tree. I already had suspicions with the captan but I was also questioning whether it was the Malathion also.

Hmmm
WTF else was I overspraying now I'm glad I updated my findings as you guys caught other stuff also

I'll let you know what my contact at U.Kentucky says after I bring this to his attention.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You are definitely better at this stuff than you were 2 years ago! Still a bit of a trigger finger where the sprayer is concerned but a big improvement my friend. In fact, if you'll look, you'll see you are still my only friend here Really a good looking garden. It's pretty foreign to people in this area to be able to plant a second crop late summer in the same garden space, as you did with turnips.

Your mom is a good cook. Ask her to show you teaspoons and tablespoons
Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
You are definitely better at this stuff than you were 2 years ago! Still a bit of a trigger finger where the sprayer is concerned but a big improvement my friend. In fact, if you'll look, you'll see you are still my only friend here Really a good looking garden. It's pretty foreign to people in this area to be able to plant a second crop late summer in the same garden space, as you did with turnips.

Your mom is a good cook. Ask her to show you teaspoons and tablespoons
Thanks bud
I've been pulling up the tomato's tonight, getting ready to plant the turnip greens here in the next week or so, only thing left in the garden now is the Okra, waiting on it to start producing

I ate a whole quart jar of salsa tonight by myself
160 quarts we put up between salsa, juice and tomato's for winter.

Yes, she is a good cook but I'm not going to give her an excuse to laugh at me she gets enough of that without my help

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And...take a look at Cornell's information for home fruit growers. Second opinion. Cornell is highly respected by fruit growers.
Maybe your university is giving you information from the 1960's. Perhaps you do not need the captan. Perhaps you don't need the Immunox fungicide either. The only important disease Cornell mentions is brown rot. And the main insect is curculio.

Certain insecticides like sevin can cause fruit to drop. And you don't want too many fruit--as that results in many small inferior fruit. They must be spaced out--say 3 to 6 inches apart.
About fruit drop:
http://www.starkbros.com/blog/sheddi...on-fruit-drop/

And thanks for the comment, Greendoc...sevin makes mites worse. And kills bees which would otherwise pollinate your fruit blossoms.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
And...take a look at Cornell's information for home fruit growers. Second opinion. Cornell is highly respected by fruit growers.
Maybe your university is giving you information from the 1960's. Perhaps you do not need the captan. Perhaps you don't need the Immunox fungicide either. The only important disease Cornell mentions is brown rot. And the main insect is curculio.

Certain insecticides like sevin can cause fruit to drop. And you don't want too many fruit--as that results in many small inferior fruit. They must be spaced out--say 3 to 6 inches apart.
About fruit drop:
http://www.starkbros.com/blog/sheddi...on-fruit-drop/

And thanks for the comment, Greendoc...sevin makes mites worse. And kills bees which would otherwise pollinate your fruit blossoms.
Correct
That's why I didn't start spraying till after the blooms fell.

Then God created Women