Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I've got the homeowner models. Two of the KM55 heads, two polesaws, one extension pole, one string trimmer, one blade attachment for the trimmer, one blower.

Never had any issues.

Granted, I do not use them in a commercial application.

On the other hand I have six (6) acres of lawn, and 44-acres total on my farm. Most of which had not been touched since 1989, and I took possession of my farm in 2010. Overgrown does not quite describe it.

I have been beating on my Kombi tools for three (3) years now, no problems. And I do not believe that even you professional lawncare guys could possibly use the polesaw units as much as I do.

I also own a 290 (brute) and a 192 (ultra-lightweight) handheld Stihl chainsaws. No issues with them either outside of normal maintenance. Hard use weekly, if not daily.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

The bed definer also has an adjustable depth wheel that rolls along the concrete. The skid plate doesnt drag on the concrete. I realize the bed definet and edger are different attachements, bit for the price of a blade and a .12 washer you can use it as both and save your money. It does a beautiful job edging, been using it all year as an edger, works just fine.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I have had a Stihl FS90 for the last three years and it has been great. I have all the attachments for it except the bed definer/edger. I do that by hand. The powerhead has plenty of guts to take on any job. I use it nearly every day either for hedge trimming or for limbing up trees. Its tough to beat, I would like to get a second one to keep the guys and I moving. We use the grass trimmer attachment but a dedicated trimmer is much preferred. The unit isn't as balanced as dedicated trimmers, the trimmer shield is too big and the clippings clump often. Also the head isn't half as easy to string as my Red Max's are. Cold start up is easy but after years and hundreds of hours of use it doesn't like to start up when super hot.
I think you'll find that once you buy it, you will have more and more reasons to use it. Its what happened to me haha
Old 08-28-2013, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kombi 110 user here... Yes it is temperamental but what 4-mix engine isn't??

Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawcett View Post
...We use the grass trimmer attachment but a dedicated trimmer is much preferred. The unit isn't as balanced as dedicated trimmers, the trimmer shield is too big and the clippings clump often. ...
Huh? The straight shaft trimmer attachment uses the same parts as the gearbox at the end of a Stihl straight shaft pro trimmer. Same gearbox, same line head, same guard, same everything. The only difference between an FS100R with a straight shaft head, and a KM100R, is a few ounces for the clamp.

If you have the brush cutter guard, which is the oversized guard made for use with a blade, I can see that having issues with clumping grass. That guard also does not have a line cutter built in though.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I've tried using the split shaft as a dedicated trimmer but it is no where as nice as either of my Red Max trimmers. The kombi units are heavy and they don't give you good feed back through your hands. We click off about 6-8 high end properties a day and accuracy counts more than anything. None of the guys want to use the split shaft trimmer. Just my $.02