Register free!

Old 08-28-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

More planting advice

Here is another small job. client wants grass and 2 azaleas taken out and replaced. Told her another arborvitae, in the center, would look nice. She wants something a little different.
1st photo is how it looks now, second photo is how it would look w the 3 plants taken out
Advice in what to put in the area. thanks

Zone 5, partial afteroon shade

Name:  without the plants.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  P1090673.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  99.5 KB
Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Id go with a weeping cherry prunus sno fountains (white flowers) or the pink variety. Then id put coral bells in a horse shoe formation in the front. Would look awesome. the weeping cherry is a really slow grower so as long as its pruned once a year it can be kept in check easily and only gets 12 ft. at maturity.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVL LLC View Post
Id go with a weeping cherry prunus sno fountains (white flowers) or the pink variety. Then id put coral bells in a horse shoe formation in the front. Would look awesome. the weeping cherry is a really slow grower so as long as its pruned once a year it can be kept in check easily and only gets 12 ft. at maturity.
12' wide? that area definately does not look 12' wide. Plant that and you'll have either a overgrown tree into the house or walkway. I do like the idea of a some sort of small tree, possibly a grafted shrub, with a understory of heuchera, heucherella, tiarella or even some exotic hosta. Tina flowering crab might work, not sure on the width offhand though

I really dislike houses like there, almost impossible to create any flow from the back drop, have to rely solely on the smaller foreground plantings
Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The idea of a grafted shrub is a good one... a grafted dappled willow or Cinderella Lilac works well for that...
Old 08-29-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not want to see a tall plant in the middle of that bed. This is not a focal point and it will look awkward from a distance with the peak of the roof. Look at the overall landscape, not just the one place to stick a cool plant.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is always a matter of taste of course, but to me it seems that you need something AS tall, even taller, than the arbs on either side to give that balance... they really should go a little higher but the side walk being so close to the house really stifles the landscape right away...

The grafted plant atop the long skinny trunk is offset by the basal plantings around it... JMHO...
Old 08-29-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I was talking about 12 ft high. A weeping cherry doesnt grow 12 ft. wide.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The largest weeping cherry I have in my landscapes is only about 8' high, but the umbrella is still about 6' diameter...
Old 08-30-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

also make sure to quote a good price for yourself because that ornamental grass isnt going to be very easy to remove. They are the pita to remove and a long pry bar will help you imensely for this.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Alberta Spruce