Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 AM
LawnSite Member

College Grad Returning To Old Passion

Like many of you here, I started mowing yards for my neighbors at a very young age. By 14, my mom was driving me to customers all over town with a push mower and weed eater in the back of our van. I was soon able to buy all my own equipment, get a trailer, and start mowing professionally. When I graduated high school, I was mowing 35 yards and making pretty nice money. I sold my business off right after that and went away to college.

Fast forward 7 years to the present, and I am now doing the same thing I did as a high school kid, but I have a degree in food science (the plan was to go to medical school). I got great grades and all that, even got some job offers, but I couldn't get past the thought of working hard all day so that some other guy can line his pockets with the fruit of my labor. At the end of the day, I realized how much I missed mowing yards and owning my own business.

I have been back in business since the beginning of May 2013, and I have gone from one customer to twenty five since then. I'm not making as much money as I would like just yet, but I am only working about twenty hours per week.

The biggest surprise for me this time has been how eager everybody is to hire me as their yard guy. I keep hearing the same story: "My old yard guy just got a much nicer full-time job, and all the other yard guys are too busy to help me." In my opinion, that's another way of saying, "Now is the best possible time to grow your business."

All that being said, I feel optimistic about the future, and I look forward to being part of this online community.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Awesome - welcome back! I'm on my second go-round, myself & I'm enjoying it, even with all of the challenges. Having come back from an office environment, I can tell you that I feel like you made the right decision. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: in the middle of the middle of the midwest (Kansas)
I have pretty much the same story my mom drove me around and would drop me off and when I was done I would use the walkie talkie to tell her I was finished. Thumbs up to moms. This past week I started my first day of college I Drive about 90 miles a day for college just so I can come home and keep mowing. I live in a small town and it seems like everybody and their brother has a mower in the back to pick up but I have at least the second largest mowing service in town. Me and my little bro run all over town with my super Z & FasTrak. I couldn't have asked for a better middle school and high school job. Good choice to switch back to mowing.