Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Stand-On Mowers: Wright 36" RH vs. Toro Grandstand vs. Exmark Vantage

Hello Community,

Just signed on to the site, however, I've checked in on occasion when looking for knowledge.

I am replacing my Toro 36" walk behind mowers with stand on mowers. I'm staying with 36" decks. My 3 options are WRIGHT, TORO, & EXMARK. I have rode all three in the parking lots of the dealers.

If you have knowledge or useful experience with any of these three brands, I'd like your option. If you are using another brand or have an option concerning anything else, I don't need to know about it.

I'm really interested in the ride quality of the WRIGHT. It does not have the suspension platform. I was told they do not offer it on the 36."

Thanks in advance for your help and GOOD advice.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Just a heads up, a 36" stander will not be half the machine on a hill that you knew you're walk behind was. They are more top heavy, and since they aren't wide at all stability is minimal.

In my area with all of the hills that we have, I would stick with a 36" hydro WB or get a bigger stander.

As for brand recommendation, Toro. They have the same quality on the grand stand throughout all the their sizes, but I would only buy from them if you have a good dealer nearby.
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36'' wright RH, it's a pretty rough ride, but not unbearable. it is fine going up and down hills but side ways or turning on them just doesn't work very well. that'll be an issue with any 36'' stander. the wright probably has a bit more hillside stability due to the operator being lower and directly between the wheels. it's definitely no walk behind but it's great for large flat backyards with small gates or places with tons of obstacles
Old 08-30-2013, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 36' Vantage. I like it but I'm wishing I had a 36' TT. All my yards are flat. My issue is that with the combination of my weight and the mower it's just to heavy for the 36' foot print. We are well into the Summer so it's not so bad , but in the Spring or when the ground was a bit saturated it rutted bad. I think It comes in close to 790lbs. Add my 250ibs on top and you can see my point. This isn't a jab at Exmark, I'm sure if I was 80lb lighter the handling would be different.

The striping on the TT IMO is also tons better than the Vantage. I even had the dealer check the rake with me standing on my 36'. Don't get me wrong it stripes well, but not like a WB.

The Vantage on the other hand is like a race car compared to the TT with plenty of power to spare. You will fly though the yards much quicker than the TT. So if timing and efficiency is your thing maybe the StandOn?

LOL...I'm actually talking to my dealer about some options on how I can get into a TT without taking a bath on my Vantage. Anyone near Indianapolis looking for a 36' Vantage? It's got 26.2 hours on it and was purchased new in the Spring?

BTW...I also have a 52' Vantage and love it.

Mike