Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-30-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

let's talk maintenance

So after a little scare today thinking I had a broken spindle bearing I had a thought. After 2 summers ill have close to 1500 hrs on my kubota zd326. Should I go through my machine this winter and replace all wearable items? These would be: drive shafts, deck bearings, wheel bearings, deck belt, and alternator belt? What are your all thoughts?
Old 08-30-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I would certainly try & have those on hand at least...nothing like blowin a belt or bearing and having to wait for it...belt's/spindle bearings & other wear part's I try & have on hand at all time's & also small assortment of pin's/washer's/nut's & bolt's etc...
Old 08-30-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs1 View Post
I would certainly try & have those on hand at least...nothing like blowin a belt or bearing and having to wait for it...belt's/spindle bearings & other wear part's I try & have on hand at all time's & also small assortment of pin's/washer's/nut's & bolt's etc...
Well I just found that that the spindle bearing and seals are only $30 a spindle. So $90 for the deck, maybe $50 for the all the wheel hardware and maybe $300 for the shafts? I'm getting some engine vibrations in the rear shaft and I have play in the deck shaft. So I am thinking the next year I might have to replace the shafts. 1500 hrs on my grasshopper is when my ujoint on my shaft were toast. Maybe I can replace just the joints.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bumpdy bump bump for the night crowd.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I generally go through the truck and machines in the winter, however I don't do any unnecessary repairs.

I keep spare parts and most stuff I can fix in the field.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My thinking is that its been nice to have a repair free 1100 hrs and I don't think ill be lucky enough to get to 2000 hrs. My grasshopper I have it down to a science. All wear parts on that are good 1000 hrs and everything went at once. On both mowers you can't make and repairs in the field besides the wheels and when your down your down for a minimum for a day or up to 3.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bumpdy bump bump
Old 08-30-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

as I somewhat stated... We do the following... follow the manufacturers guide(s) in the manuals, tractor manuals are the most through. The only exception is greasing which is done daily, regardless of hours. Anytime any service is done it's wrote down in the manual with the following: date, service performed, machine hours.

We don't have a ton of equipment, I think about 9 mowers, bunch of trimmers, blowers, etc... but try for consistency as far as engines and interchangeable parts go. Always keep spare belts, blades and fluids on the trucks.

I know guys who have 10 different brands of mowers and trimmers and they ALL use different parts and it would cost a fortune to keep spares of major components on hand.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
as I somewhat stated... We do the following... follow the manufacturers guide(s) in the manuals, tractor manuals are the most through. The only exception is greasing which is done daily, regardless of hours. Anytime any service is done it's wrote down in the manual with the following: date, service performed, machine hours.

We don't have a ton of equipment, I think about 9 mowers, bunch of trimmers, blowers, etc... but try for consistency as far as engines and interchangeable parts go. Always keep spare belts, blades and fluids on the trucks.

I know guys who have 10 different brands of mowers and trimmers and they ALL use different parts and it would cost a fortune to keep spares of major components on hand.
With my 2 diesels I don't have engines issues and nothing to wear out. The only normal things are tires, deck wheels,wheel bearings on occasion. On the both mowers I have being diesel if I have an alternator belt go bad I have to take the drive shafts off which is a task. To change a deck bearing: On the woods I have to clean it out, un bolt it, take the drive shaft off, flip it up, pull the pulley off with a puller, and then I can get to it. Kubota I have to take the deck off, undo the drive shaft and slide it out, possibly take the gear box off if its the center, use around a 1 inch wrench to undo the nut, use a pulley puller for the pulley, and then I get to it. Its also unknown if I have to use a press or beat the bearing off on both. So by then on each mower I'm going to have 3/4 of a day gone to swap out a bearing and $40 a hour in productivity. So a $30 bearing with seals is $430 lost profit for the day. I had a shaft bearing go on the woods screwing up the drive shaft and was down for 2 days in leaf season which is my main machine then. I was just thinking is anyone just replaces these parts after so long so make down time non existent. I know they do this is aviation. Every part has a life span so its replaced before it breaks so no one dies and no one crashes. Also makes repair bills on your terms and planed.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This might keep you going without taking the whole machine apart.

http://www.harborfreight.com/vibrati...elt-43771.html