Register free!

Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
A lot of us seem to be chasing false leads or misleading ideas -- and some of these have even made their way into the RTU market. Adding PSI or PPO inhibitors changes the way the target plant works, which often cuts the legs out from underneath your glyphosate app.

A study out of Auburn was published in 2008 that looked into the glyphosate + diquat combination (like RoundUp QuickPro) and found that, although the diquat addition gave quicker injury symptoms, total weed kill was slower, more regrowth happened, and more total glyphosate was required to kill the weeds than using glyphosate alone.

Remember that glyphosate inhibits the production of aromatic amino acids via interruption of the shikimic acid pathway. When contact herbicides are used, they prevent the shikimic acid pathway from properly functioning, which inhibits glyphosate from killing the plant. After the weed recovers from the contact herbicide damage, it grows like normal.

Most glyphosate formulations already include a surfactant, so adding more just costs you more money without improving control. Sometimes you may see some phytotoxicity from the surfactant, but it is only superficial damage and not improved control. It may even reduce control.

When adding AMS, it *can* help, but not because it is helping glyphosate enter the target weed any faster. Remember, the shikimic acid pathway has to be active in order for glyphosate to kill the target weed. Fertilizing plants usually increases activity in their internal pathways, which allows glyphosate to work more efficiently. But, you're only speeding up the activity here by a day, maybe two days.

The best thing to do to maximize your glyphosate application is to mix it properly (according to the label), apply so as to get thorough coverage of the target weed, and make sure that the weed is under as little stress as possible. Then, sit back and watch the magic happen!
I would agree with this. Probably better to use something like diquat alone if you need a quick kill to impress a customer or whatever and then come back later with regular Gly.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I find just cutting them part way with the trimmer and exposing fresh plant flesh enhances the speed too. I agree with many guys are mixing way too weak. I use cheap china stuff mixed 5-8% and get great results. That's our daily spray. I've noticed the import glys don't have a sufactant, but that's cheap usually not needed for low weeds.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
I would agree with this. Probably better to use something like diquat alone if you need a quick kill to impress a customer or whatever and then come back later with regular Gly.
Diquat is something I use quite often for weed control around desirable plants. Glyphosate is saved for when there is no desirable vegetation nearby. Lawns included. Chemical trimming with even Quickpoo often turns into at least 6 or more inches of dead grass. If I do it with Diquat, there is only about an inch of brown grass. For areas with rank weed growth near ornamentals, I prefer Diquat. If in the name of completely covering a weed, a shrub leaf is contacted, the shrub only gets a spotted leaf.

In Australia, a common practice in AG is to apply glyphosate, wait 7 days, then respray with Paraquat or Diquat. I do intend to try this some day. A "quat" will damage weeds that are either inherently tolerant to glyphosate or are resistant due to selection. I see a lot of glyphosate resistant vegetation, so there is no point in trying to kill it with ever increasing rates.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-31-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Round Up Quik Pro

Round Up Quik Pro seems to work the best, due to Gly + Diquat mix in it. keeping in mind that it is fool proof when mixing. One product, one measurement ect.... hard to screw it up.
Not trying to Hi Jack the thread but does anyone have any feed back on the Round Up Pro Max? Monsanto says it is a different form on Gly that will work as good if not better than Quik Pro. It doesn't have any Diquat so I am leary of the burn down time.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How long do you have to wait to reseed if you use something like razor burn with diquat?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is spiking gly with Diquat the best for cold weather spraying? That was what was required in the bid specs for a property I just did.

I need to cleanup after fall seeding and it's already expected to have lows in 30s
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember the days when you could leave a note for your client asking for 7-10 days for visible results and all was good. We now live in a very impatient world.

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscotrid View Post
I remember the days when you could leave a note for your client asking for 7-10 days for visible results and all was good. We now live in a very impatient world.
That is the truth. 95% of my call backs are either it's been 2 days and I see no kill or it's been 5 weeks and I have weeds.

I'm not a miracle worker but if I can show the results fast after the application then I'm the best thing around to them.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have used actual round up and currently use gly star plus. With gly star plus I add a little more than what it says to get a good fast kill. With round up I use the recommend amount and it gets a good fast kill.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 10-22-2013, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
That is the truth. 95% of my call backs are either it's been 2 days and I see no kill or it's been 5 weeks and I have weeds.

I'm not a miracle worker but if I can show the results fast after the application then I'm the best thing around to them.
That's where I like to use the Scythe. Results that afternoon. Couple hours if you hit it with trimmer first.
Posted via Mobile Device