Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8tor38 View Post
Just got my 472 2 weeks ago and the dealer called me at 5 today telling me Gravely had contacted them on the drive motors have a recall on them, looks like at 3.2 hours I'm getting new hydro's or at the least motors I guess. I am not to familiar with them. Has anyone heard of what is going on that gravely would recall them? Looks like Gravely customer service steps up again to keep us going.
Keep us up to date. My 452 has the 5400 transmissions and I have not heard of any recalls or service bulletins. A lot of machines now are using these as well.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I paid 10,499 for my 472 prior to the chrome rims, trailer hitch and light kit.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

will do GMLC. I have pics to post of my 472 with chrome wheels, light kit and trailer hitch but don't know how. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8tor38 View Post
will do GMLC. I have pics to post of my 472 with chrome wheels, light kit and trailer hitch but don't know how. Any help would be appreciated.
If you have the pics on your computer, when you go to make a post, click on the paperclip icon above where you type. That will open a window that allows you to attach photo's from your computer. After you have seleted you pics, scroll all the way to the right (for many of us this means scrolling to the right of what shows in the little pop up window) and click on upload. The pics will appear in your post. You can check it prior to posting by selecting "preview post".
Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
With these high lift blades the cut quality is equal to that of the stander - gorgeous but a little clumpy in crabgrass or other wet/thick grass. I hope to find a setup that lets the deck work as advertised (as good or better than the xf1) still but we've been receiving compliments again after mowing which is nice.
With baffles removed these blades are cutting some of the weediest garbage lawns clean in one pass. We have a few true green lawns and 2 of them are overrun with crabgrass do, in part, to the wet year. One call to complain to true green gets them out to assess and do damage control (super-fert) and the next week we're mowing heavily fertilized crabgrass. This mower cuts it better in one pass than any machine I've ever owned so I am starting to warm up to it. I priced out an exmark when we bought this because Conway had one in stock and I feel almost like I have an exmark deck under here...

The tight wheelbase lets us use it on small properties too so productivity is up for sure and the isolators make a world of difference in ride comfort.

The little pro turn has been the best bang or the buck so far. I could build a very cheap, very capable fleet out of those things...
Do you have any updates or did you find a particular way to set your deck up that you like?
Old 08-31-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Retro says he hasn't heard anything about a hydro recall, but he will call Tues to find out.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Keep us up to date. My 452 has the 5400 transmissions and I have not heard of any recalls or service bulletins. A lot of machines now are using these as well.
My Outlaw has the ZT 5400 and my new Exmark ZT 3400. Now the Outlaw is a 13 mph mower and it does not climb well they feel spongy, in fact I can climb ok as long as I do not try to go fast the more I push the sticks the more it slows.
Now my 9mph Exmark with the zt 3400 will go straight up and down with no downhill wiggle, and very snappy responsive. Probably the smoothest transmission since the Gemini came out in the Grasshopper.

Have you noticed and spongyness on your Gravely or is it just a 10 mph mower?

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong

Last edited by MJB; 08-31-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: mistake fixed
Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
My Outlaw has the ZT 5400 and my new Exmark ZT 3400. Now the Outlaw is a 13 mph mower and it does not climb well they feel spongy, in fact I can climb ok as long as I do not try to go fast the more I push the sticks the more it slows.
Now my 9mph Exmark with the zt 3400 will go straight up and down with no downhill wiggle, and very snappy responsive. Probably the smoothest transmission since the Gemini came out in the Grasshopper.

Have you noticed and spongyness on your Gravely or is it just a 10 mph mower?
My Gravely is also rated at 13 mph. I have not noticed sponginess. Mine are super responsive and silky smooth. I climb some crazy hills and find the 5400's very powerful. Have you done your first trans service due at 70 hours? Also check the engine rpm's. Doesn't sound normal so you may want your dealer to take a look.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
My Gravely is also rated at 13 mph. I have not noticed sponginess. Mine are super responsive and silky smooth. I climb some crazy hills and find the 5400's very powerful. Have you done your first trans service due at 70 hours? Also check the engine rpm's. Doesn't sound normal so you may want your dealer to take a look.

Believe me when I tell you this is not MJB's first rodeo...
Old 09-01-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Believe me when I tell you this is not MJB's first rodeo...
Did I say it was?

Sounds like he has something wrong. I have operated several machines with 5400's without sponginess.