Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Alternatives to Hydro-seeding?!?!?!

Hey guys, what are some alternatives to hydro-seeding large areas?

Bidding a job where they have no water (Its a park) but have large areas that need to be seeded. What do you all do? I rather not rent a hydro-seeder..

Is Grass seed, rain water and hay the only other alternative?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor-cut View Post
Hey guys, what are some alternatives to hydro-seeding large areas?

Bidding a job where they have no water (Its a park) but have large areas that need to be seeded. What do you all do? I rather not rent a hydro-seeder..

Is Grass seed, rain water and hay the only other alternative?
Don't use hay you want wheat or oats straw
If you have a drill to can seed this way or slit seed it 50/50 you can get by with out straw all depends on rain fall you are having

Do you have a seed drill or a straw blower or a slit seeder?????
Old 08-30-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Don't use hay you want wheat or oats straw
If you have a drill to can seed this way or slit seed it 50/50 you can get by with out straw all depends on rain fall you are having

Do you have a seed drill or a straw blower or a slit seeder?????
Neither. haha!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How large is the largest of the larger areas? I had a chance last year to be the fifth guy in about 8 years to seed the same unwatered area and passed. I was then told what it really needed was just to have the weeds killed. Passed on that too.

I'm concerned there are not too many ways for you to come out of this prosperous or looking good. You need not only skill but good luck, and you can't learn or buy that.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fore is right. You want to avoid callbacks. Take the check before the job is finished. Do not guarantee anything. Be sure any callbacks are at time plus materials...no free redos or touchups.

Start now in late summer when the soil is warm for quick germination. I suggest cut as short as possible to open up the most soil, drag, rake or some use some kind of implement to disturb and loosen the soil. Apply starter fert. Apply seed at double the usual rate--germination percent will be low, if conditions are less than the best. Charge the customer for the extra seed. Use mainly high-quality perennial rye as bluegrass is very slow and does poorly unless the seed is irrigated. Rake or drag again to bury some of the seed. Plan to do it again in four weeks, if rains don't happen...explaining to the customer that he will be charged for time and materials again. Plan for third time in four more weeks--if its needed.
When you get new grass, plan to fertilize heavily to stimulate maximum growth, tilering and thickening.

Plan for more fertilizer, crab control, and weed control in spring.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well what i Left out was, they want to bring in a 70+ yard load of soil to fill in low areas in their park... since they had/have a problem with ground hogs. So the area for seeding is going to vary. 20x20? each? more or less...
Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor-cut View Post
Neither. haha!
Ok Have you done this type of work before then???
Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is amazing sometimes the things municipalities will let go indefinitely then put the pedal to the metal on something like this. Hopefully some part of their plan involves relocating or killing the ground hogs.

Those are manageable size repair areas. I would look for some way to get some water out there even if it is a hose. There is not going to be an easy way or one with a high probability of working well. I don't mean to be negative, I just don't think I could do it well. Riggle had some good ideas but I know from experience they want a low price one-and-done type bid.

Good luck. Post some pictures if you take this on.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Over seed, overseed,, and over seed... You are starting with loose topsoil so all you have to do is rake it level with seed in the top few inches and wait for the rains to start...

The Parks people need to have enough brains to understand that w/out rain they'll have the dirt floor indefinitely, but sooner or later something will pop...

When it does, you'll see where you need to seed again... once you do then you can let it rest until dormant seeding time...

Where are you at anyways??? do you have frozen soil in winter???
Old 08-31-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Ok Have you done this type of work before then???
We're highly capable of handling this job. You don't need that equipment to grow grass c'mon. Now do i do jobs like this daily? Heck No! We have several 10k-15k sq ft sod jobs and such.. But always looking to see what other peoples' suggestions are! I don't want to drop sod here as it would be expensive and new sod installs need IMMEDIATE water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
It is amazing sometimes the things municipalities will let go indefinitely then put the pedal to the metal on something like this. Hopefully some part of their plan involves relocating or killing the ground hogs.

Those are manageable size repair areas. I would look for some way to get some water out there even if it is a hose. There is not going to be an easy way or one with a high probability of working well. I don't mean to be negative, I just don't think I could do it well. Riggle had some good ideas but I know from experience they want a low price one-and-done type bid.

Good luck. Post some pictures if you take this on.
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Over seed, overseed,, and over seed... You are starting with loose topsoil so all you have to do is rake it level with seed in the top few inches and wait for the rains to start...

The Parks people need to have enough brains to understand that w/out rain they'll have the dirt floor indefinitely, but sooner or later something will pop...

When it does, you'll see where you need to seed again... once you do then you can let it rest until dormant seeding time...

Where are you at anyways??? do you have frozen soil in winter???
Nahhh Its always the contractors fault! haha! I'm in SE michigan.. Its getting close to the end of summer. Soil does freeze but not for another 4 months