Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Which St. Augustine lawn weed killers are good?

I just moved into a home that has a lot of St. Augustine and some bermuda. I have always used MSMA on my other bermuda grass lawns. Well, I have been told that I can't use MSMA on this St. Augustine grass.

What can I use as a weed killer on this lawn? I have used Image and it has not shown any results whatsoever. I am only using a hand sprayer. I mixed it at 3 ounces per gallon.

What is the proper lawn care for this late in the summer on St. Augustine grass in North Texas/Southern Oklahoma.

Thanks a lot
Old 09-01-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

guess it would depend on what your trying to kill...dismiss or certainty for sedge.. manor or Celsius for some other stuff...

I will normally mix certainty with Celsius and some mso and it cleans my yard right up for months at a time..
Old 09-01-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Image is actually a very good weed killer for St Augustine. It does not work on dried out or underfertilized lawns. How it is applied is also very important. Because it goes through the soil, the best way to use it is to spray the entire lawn and water it in. That way, it gets the weeds you do not see. Certainty and Celsius is a more forgiving mix, however the same note on dried out or starved lawns applies to it as well.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-02-2013, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

It looks like I am trying to do battle with goosegrass and Dallas grass and a little bit of crabgrass.

Thank you Gregory and Green Doctor.

I will hit the yard again with the Image and see what happens. I will mix it a little bit stronger. Maybe 5 ounces to a gallon.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Image does nothing for goosegrass or dallisgrass. 5 oz per gallon of Image spot sprayed will simply leave spots of stunted and maybe even killed
St Augustine.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriverrat View Post
It looks like I am trying to do battle with goosegrass and Dallas grass and a little bit of crabgrass.

Thank you Gregory and Green Doctor.

I will hit the yard again with the Image and see what happens. I will mix it a little bit stronger. Maybe 5 ounces to a gallon.
Before making your lawn look like a war zone at 5oz/gallon. Check the label of Celsius + Revolver+ MSO for the Dallisgrass. Image is a great product, however grass must be actively growing. If you don't have too much dallisgrass, just pull it up after a long soaking rain or if you have the time wicking with Sethoxydim (Vantage) will work. Use two latex gloves on one hand and a cotton glove over them; dip you hand in the solution and work it all over the plant. Be careful.
On the crab; pull as much as you can to keep the seeds from maturing, and next year keep your application of your pre-em (Gallery) on schedule. One application per year is just not effective for crabgrass as it does not begin to germinate until later in the season. There is a control for crabgrass but takes a bit of mixing to get.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Celsius at 3 oz per acre and Revolver at 20 oz per acre will kill goosegrass, in addition to substantially damaging the dallis and crab. I am reluctant to mention this because I have no idea how this lawn is fertilized, irrigated or mowed.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Celsius at 3 oz per acre and Revolver at 20 oz per acre will kill goosegrass, in addition to substantially damaging the dallis and crab. I am reluctant to mention this because I have no idea how this lawn is fertilized, irrigated or mowed.
So True, so true!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, that explains why I have applied Image 3 times with no results.

This is a great Forum.

I have this fear, as I'm sure a lot if us have, that I'm going to be that guy in the commercial that wakes up one morning, looks at his yard and says "What the front yard!!!!" That commercial is priceless if you know the commercial that I am talking about. Too funny.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriverrat View Post
Well, that explains why I have applied Image 3 times with no results.

This is a great Forum.

I have this fear, as I'm sure a lot if us have, that I'm going to be that guy in the commercial that wakes up one morning, looks at his yard and says "What the front yard!!!!" That commercial is priceless if you know the commercial that I am talking about. Too funny.
I would suggest that you read, read, read and not just what everyone else is doing, but university studies, talk face to face with your county extension agent, some golf course attendants and get to know the most reputable person in your area. Find out the growing habits of your turf, what chemicals they tolerate, the pH most suited to them, how much irrigation to furnish as well as how much fertilize to apply and when. St. Augustine IS a nitrogen hog. Usually a feeding every month is needed to have superior growth.

Stay local as there are not many similarities in Maine and California.

This may take you some time to learn. I was lucky to have the fast track and learn from the best--Greendoctor.