Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

going from small to big overnight

I work a full time job-M-Thursday, and on fridays i mow about 15-18 properties. I leave saturdays free for odd jobs like mulching hedge trimming and so forth. I have a 01 silverado 2wd, 14 foot trailer, 48" walkbehind, Redma backpack, Stihl kombi with weedwacker, pole hedge trimmer, and edger, as well as a stihl hedge trimmer, a stihl chainsaw, and a few push mowers. On fridays my brother works with me to do the trimming while i do the mowing.
A customer i have proposed a plan to me. He has the ability to land me 1 huge commercial account, Basically 2 separate condominium developments in two separate towns about 45 mins from were i am based. Its about a 60-70k landscaping contract plus separate plowing contract.
I figure im going to have to buy minimal a 1 ton dump, 60 inch zero turn of some sort, and a leaf vac to start. Also if i do the plowing contract will need a plow and sander for said dump, plus another 3/4 ton with plow( or i can sub second truck out)
I will probably have to hire a full time employee, perhaps 2?I suppose i could quit my main job but im just not brave enough for that yet. Im driving up with my customer to meet his Buddy who is the maintenance manager for the establishment. I'm hoping that I can land a 3 year contract out of it, because i need to pay for the the equipment im going to have to buy. Also im thinking i might not want to start a contract with them til the spring.
I do have a goal that if i do hire a full time employee that i will not longer be working the business but will transfer myself to being more of a salesman spending my free time advertising and trying to grow the business as big as i can manage. I do have a goal to eventually leave my full time job and do landscaping full time, but i need to make sure the landscaping is financially able to support me. What are some of the things that i am missing, problems i might face. Obviously i have never had a real employee so there is a large cost of doing that with insurances, and stuff.